Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help please ... good Hong Kong Hotel for around 200 USD a night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Having traveled a lot around Thailand and Malaysia, we are now planning our first trip to Hong Kong which is for my 40th birthday on 4th April this year. It's just myself and my husband and we are flying from Australia and staying for 6 nights.

Location is very important (close to restaurants, shops, transport) and from the research we've done between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, we think we'd prefer to stay on Hong Kong Island.

We'd love to stay at the Oriental or the Four Seasons but they're way out of our price range (I'd rather have more money for shopping!) which is about $200 USD per night. Can anyone recommend any good hotels for our budget?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM

You said it's for early April, but what are the exact dates?

Say it's 4/1 to 4/7, you can get the new Crowne Plaza in Causeway Bay on asiahotels.com for $181/night, all in. The boutique Lanson Place (also in Causeway Bay) $180. An older (but even more convenient) alternative is the Park Lane for $179.

On the Kowloon side, the Panorama by Rhombus in Tsim Sha Tsui starts at $138/night all-in. Their "Gold" room with great harborview starts from $183. Lamgham Place in Mongkok starts at about $170. On Expedia, the new Hyatt Regency is $187 + tax.

Those are probably the best hotels are within your budget, convenient, as well as immediately bookable.

For a little more, the Conrad in Admiralty is $225 + tax on Expedia. Or the Marco Polo Hong Kong in Tsimshatsui for $201 + tax, also on Expedia.

You do have some choices for your budget.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

We will arrive on Saturday 3rd April at 8.30pm, and we haven't decided when we will leave but it will be either Thursday 8th, Friday 9th or Saturday 10th April (most likely Friday 9th).

Thanks for your reply it's really helpful - I'll go and have a look at those you've quoted.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM

The New Crowne Plaza mentioned above seems to have quite large rooms and is in an interesting neighborhood (it’s really more in Happy Valley, but for some reason they want to advertise it as Causeway Bay, but I would say that being in HV is more of a selling point). As about the newest hotel in town, the rooms are sure to have all the bells and whistles, so may make up for not being the Mandarin or Four Seasons. There is an interesting local fruit/veg farmers street market nearby in Bowrington Road. As you are here 6 nights, you can go to the races one night in Happy Valley (the quintessential Hong Kong activity), and you can walk to the race track from the hotel.

I would also suggest you look at the Bishop Lei, in Mid-levels, as you could get a Grand Harbour View Suite in your price range and a Duplex Suite for just over it. This is not going to be as newly luxe as the Crowne Plaza, but will be a good-size 1-bedroom with a sitting room. The location is fantastic: a few hundred meters from the escalator which will lead you to some of the best restaurants and little boutiques, and then down to Central. You can also take a bus down or even a taxi quite cheaply. (They have a free shuttle as well.) Quite nice views. You could walk up (or more easily down) from the Peak as well from that location. See http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk/

I am not a huge fan of Causeway Bay for visitors, but have always liked the Park Lane (have not seen the rooms, but public areas are nice). I think the location in that part of Causeway Bay is rather secondary, as there is not a lot for the tourist in the immediate neighborhood and the better restaurants are elsewhere (however if you are <i>only</i> in Hong Kong to shop then this is a good location). In that neighborhood, I think that the new L’Hotel looks the most interesting, see http://www.lhotelcausewaybayhv.com/ and I believe may be in your budget.

The Metropark Wan Chai is one to consider, I think it should be in your range. The location is very good. (There is also a Metropark in Causeway Bay that is popular on this board, I would very much prefer the Wan Chai location.). See http://www.metroparkhotels.com/index.php for all their hotels. Ask about room size. The Metropark Wanchai would be walkable to and from the interesting market areas of Wan Chai, as well as the bars and restaurants in Wan Chai in the Star Street.

Another thought are the serviced apartments at Two MacDonnell Road in mid-levels. These are available for short-term rentals of one night, and the smaller units should be in your budget range. All units have small kitchens, which is a nice feature for breakfast or other meals as you will be there for so many nights (there is a grocery store across the street). I like the location on MacDonnell Road, as it is close to the great walking path on Bowen Road, you can walk down to the Peak Tram station or Hong Kong Park in about 5 minutes or to Central in a bit more. This is in a quiet residential neighborhood,. The hotel has a free shuttle bus to Central as well, and a small gym a restaurant. Look at http://www.twomr.com.hk.

There is a chain of serviced apartments with various location on Hong Kong Island, some are small studios and some are 1800 square foot 2-bedrooms priced accordingly, take a look at http://www.thev.hk/. I don't know anything about this group or the quality of the apartments.

Finally, I would suggest you try the Upper House, which is a really, really lovely new hotel here which has probably the most luxurious and largest rooms in all of Hong Kong. It is expensive, but they have been running specials offering things like one free night with every 2 nights booked, so if you are staying 6 nights, the rates may actually work out to be competitive. See http://www.upperhouse.com/Pages/index.aspx. (You might try e-mailing them about special rates as well if they don’t show up on the website.) The location is in Pacific Place, an excellent location. They have no spa or swimming pool, but in April you are unlikely to miss the latter, and you can always go to another hotel for spa treatments if you want.

The rooms at the Rhombus can be on the small side, so be sure to ask if you book there. The Gold rooms are 280 square feet, which is just at the edge of an acceptable size for 2 people, IMO (esp for 6 nights). Views are quite nice however. The silver rooms are quite small.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM

While the Crowne Plaza is at the edge of Causeway Bay, most will still consider it Causeway Bay, and it is only 2 blocks from Time Square. For most locals, "Happy Valley" usually refer to the residential area at the southern end of the horse track, or the horse track itself.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM

I don't quite agree, as the cricket club is next door to the hotel, and that most people consider to be in Happy Valley. But I think it is a plus to be in Happy Valley, so that is why I say the hotel is "more in" Happy Valley than in Causeway Bay. To me, being in Causeway Bay is a <i>disadvantage</i>. The actual parameters of Happy Valley can be debated of course. But then again, I used to live on the northside of Kennedy Road, which is actually Wan Chai, but real estate agents and people trying to sell apartments there always describe it as "Mid-levels" (as the latter is the more desired location), so even the legal city district lines can get blurred too.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM

What's the opinion on the new hotel, East? It looks great in the ads that have been running in the IHT. Is it actually open? Too far away from anything to be of any interest?
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all this information. I think I need to go and study the different areas to get a better understanding of where each of them are but I have lots to go on now.

Thanks eeryone
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

I've been trawling through all of your recommendations, and as we'd like to have a pool, it narrows it down quite a bit. At the moment we're swaying towards the Crown Plaza ...

We can get the Crown Plaza at Causeway Bay, superior room inc b/f for $188 USD p/n
or the Harbour Grand Hong Kong, Deluxe Harbour View for $135 USD (no b/f).

Any thoughts on the Harbour Grand Hong Kong? Is it in a better location than the Crowne Plaza? Does this look like a better deal - better location and harbour view?

ps. We've booked our flights and are staying 6 nights 3rd April - 9th April.

Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM

$135 for the Harbor Grand is a good deal. It's actually closer to the MTR than the Crowne Plaza. Not much for tourists in the immediately area, but who cares? You can jump on a bus or the tramway and be in Causeway Bay in a few minutes; or just 10 minutes to Central by MTR.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

On the map it looks as though Causeway Bay is a little bit away from the action, so I though the Harbour Grand was in the better location ... Is the Crowne Plaza actually a better location than the Harbour Grand? If so, is it worth having a lesser location for a harbour view room?
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Causeway Bay has lots of shopping and Chinese and Asian dining (from all regional stuff). It is not away from the action.

But the Crowne Plaza is on the edge of Causeway Bay, and while it is only 2 blocks from Time Square (a huge and popular mall) and its MTR entrance, it is actually quite a walk from that MTR entrance to get to the train.

Fortress Hill (where the Harbour Grand is) is mostly residental. There's nothing there for the regular tourist. But that hotel is very close to Fortress Hill MTR. So you can get to the trains easily and quickly.

As for harbor view, unless you're staying in Tsimshatsui with a great view of HK Island, it's not worth too much to upgrade for. You're not going to spend that much time in your hotel room.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Island Shangrila, The Conrad, JW Marriott are in Admiralty a great location they may be cheaper than the 4 Seasons. From there you move into Wan Chai district, there is the Harbour View, Grand Hyatt, Renaissance Harbour View, Luk Kwok, Novotel Century, Metropark Hotel, further on into Causeway Bay area is The Excelsior Hotel (great location and views) The Park Lane Hotel, Regal Hong Kong.
On Kowloon side there is the Pen and right next door is the YWCA, rooms are nice (used to cost hk$700 a night) great location too. The Marco Polo, Shearaton Hotel, Holiday Inn golden mile (good rates, no view) Kowloon Shangrila, Royal Garden hotel, Hotel Nikko. check them out. Try agoda.com for online booking and good rates. Hong Kong is really small and we have a fantstic MTR, clean, safe and easy to use, taxis and plentiful and cheap. Enjoy Hong Kong
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Have any readers stayed at or had 1st-hand reports from the Novotel Century?
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM

How about the Sheraton at Tsim Sha Tsui? The MTR station is right downstairs along with a shopping mall?
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

The Sheraton looks great, but unfortunately it's over my budget.

Thanks to all your help I've narrowed it down to two hotels: Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay or the Harbour Grand Hong Kong.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Just to confuse me even more, I can also get the Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui for the same price as the crowne plaza. The harbour grand is a bit cheaper than the other two.

Can anyone advise onthis please? Was not struck on staying in Kowloon, but I would like a hotel close to restaurants, transport, sightseeing etc. So perhaps this would be a better choice thN the other two?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM

All 3 are new hotels. The Hyatt Regency has direct access to the MTR's Tsimshatsui and TST-East stations. Tonnes of shops and restaurants around.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM

Of the three currently on your list, I would take the Crowne Plaza. My reasons are quite personal. I like the neighborhood, it has some interesting local market areas still remaining (as well as some huge malls), some perfectly fine restaurants nearby (esp in Lee Theatre Plaza basically across the street from your hotel, and excellent dim sum at West Villa in Lee Gardens), and is pretty well located for getting to the main tourist areas, the vast majority of which are located on Hong Kong Island, and not on the Kowloon side. While I think Fortress Hill could actually be quite interesting, and you will see virtually no other tourists, it is probably a bit too out of the way. It’s hard to say, because you will be here 6 nights, so you will have lots of time to explore and being a bit out of the mainstream is perhaps not that bad on such a long visit. (If you were just there 1-2 nights, I think this location would not work.) Some of the advantages are that you can walk outside and be in a somewhat typical middle-class neighborhood in Hong Kong (which you won’t experience with the Hyatt hotel, but could get with the Crowne Plaza by walking up Wong Nai Chung Road). There is also the excellent Tung Po Seafood restaurant nearby at the North Point MTR. The street tram runs quite close to the hotel and is a very scenic, albeit slow way, to see Hong Kong Island. (There is a tram stop not far from the Crowne Plaza as well.) One of the best walks on the island, Jardine’s Lookout, ends/begins not too far from the hotel. (This would be the same for the Crowne Plaza as well, which is also near several options for walking to Stanley, and if you really had the inclination, you could walk to or from the Peak from the hotel and take in some great views on the way. I recommend walking down, although the walk up would be excellent exercise. It would be about 2 hours for the downhill.) The Grand Harbour rooms appear to have some nice views. But it’s hard to say whether those are compelling reasons to stay in Fortress Hill, esp if the price difference is not all the much cheaper than the Crowne Plaza. You may end up paying the difference in bus, subway or taxi fares, so then there is little point.

I have never been a fan of the Kowloon side. In my opinion, if you don’t have a harbour view room, then it is not worth it. There is not a whole lot there to see or do in Kowloon, and those few sightseeing options can be easily done from the Hong Kong side by going over for a half day to Kowloon, and an evening view/walk along the Esplanade. That part of Kowloon is just heaving with tourists, and the restaurants are rather average, with a few (rather expensive) exceptions. Being accosted by touts the minute you walk out the door will no doubt get tiring over 6 days (“suit made Sir?” Tell your fortune Madame?”) The Hyatt Regency is in the new K11 mall and I am sure it is a nice hotel (have not seen the rooms, only some of the public areas). It is not close to the waterfront really (probably a 10-15 minute walk), and I don’t think many of the rooms have views, but check your room type to see if it does, as that would be worth paying for. (I have a feeling that if it is the same rate as the Crowne Plaza, then it is not a harbour view room, but do check.) It is not far from Kowloon Park, which is a nice green space. While it is close to an MTR station, it is a longish walk underground to actually reach the trains, especially the East TST station. However, you are unlikely to be taking trains from the East TST station, as that station is for the East and West Rail line which goes to the New Territories, it does not go over to Hong Kong Island and only makes two stops in rather isolated parts of Kowloon with no tourist sites. That being said, I don’t consider it necessary to be near an MTR station really, as the MTR does not go to many places in Hong Kong like the Peak, Aberdeen and the entire Southside of the island (i.e., Stanley). The MTR is a longish walk to the outlying ferry pier on Hong Kong Island if you want to go to Lamma or parts of Lantau, so depending on where you are, taking a bus or the Star Ferry would be a better way to get to those piers, IMO. On Hong Kong Island, many of the sites are walkable, and for longer distances I find the tram to be much more scenic, so again the MTR is not really an advantage as far as location. Of course the Star Ferry is really the point of crossing the harbour – why go underground? There is excellent bus service and quite cheap taxis which you can use to get around if you are not near an MTR station.

Finally, compare the room types you are getting to make sure you are comparing apples to apples for the prices you have been quoted. The rooms at the Hyatt appear to be about 3-6 square meters smaller than the rooms at the Crowne Plaza, and the Grand Harbour rooms are about 3 square meters smaller than the Crowne Plaza (depending on the room you have, and assuming you don’t have a suite. Crowne Plaza rooms are 34 square meters, the other hotels are 28-31 square meters.) A larger room may turn out to be important with such a long stay. IMO a 28-square meter room is just a bit small for 2 adults, esp for such a long stay (30 sq mtrs is really the minimum size which is good; but Hong Kong hotel rooms are small on average). As they are all new hotels, I think the quality level will be similar, although the Grand Plaza may be slightly more luxurious. Not having been in the rooms in any of them, I can’t say for sure.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic Cicerone, that was exactly the kind of information I needed. Thank you so much.

I was leaning towards the Crowne Plaza anyway, but now you've made my mind up - Crown Plaza it is.

I'll be able to sleep tonight now!

Thanks for all your help on this people. Now I can stop stressing and start looking forward to the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -