Help Planning Thailand/Asia honeymoon jan 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are trying to plan our honeymoon for Thailand and surrounding areas in Jan 2014. Time keeps flying by and Im worried that we don't' have plans yet and its already November. Looking for quick advise to book this asap. Details:
-About us: mid thirties american couple(Dan speaks fluent russian), no kids(yet), professionals, we are avid travelers, exercise enthusists, have been all over Europe, Caribbean, USA. Live in Ohio.
-love beaches with a bit of culture on the trip. looking for a nice balance of beach vacation, and culture, little bit of nightlife. stay in 5 star resorts in mexico, but like a good value or deal when we can find them.
-shooting for 14-16 days total. travel to and from should take 16 + hrs each way.
-thinking early January. Should we be there for New years eve of wait until after the new year?
-would like to see Bangkok and the beaches? Is Chaind Mia worth the visit on our time frame?
-would it make sense to try and see Maldives?
-any suggestions are flight routes, literary, resorts and activities helpful
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM

You could work in 3 destinations in you time frame. I would do Bangkok, a beach, and Chiang Mai.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

how long for Chang Mai?
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM

I agree that three destinations makes sense. I'd suggest you consider Siem Reap, Cambodia for one of your destinations. I'd suggest a minimum of four nights there, which gives you three full days. I'm not so fond of CM, but some people love it. How long to spend depends on what you plan to do there.

I'd say forget the Maldives - they aren't close and there dis nothing there but beach, no exposure to a different culture.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Early January will be perfect for Northern Thailand with warm sunny days (usually!) and cool to cold nights. If you are planning on 14 - 16 days then I would allocate about 1/3 for Northern Thailand and include Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle area and if you feel adventurous then do the Mae Hong Son loop. If you have a budget in mind then let us know and I, along with others, can suggest some nice accommodations.

The Maldives is a 4 hour flight from Bangkok and as Kathie have said it is just beach with no culture. Thailand has some fantastic beaches especially down South on the Andaman coast. Do some research and see if you like the Phuket area (includes Koa Lak, Ko Lanta, Krabi etc). Again knowing your budget will be helpful in recommending accommodations.

Fly into Bangkok spend a few nights right after New Year, I don't like the mandatory New Year dinner and celebrations imposed by most hotels in Thailand. Fly to Chiang Mai and from Chiang Mai fly directly to Phuket. From Phuket fly back to Bangkok and head home.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 03:28 AM

I agree with Hanuman re your scheduling. If you choose Phuket (and I would) look at Khao Lak and Mai Khao beaches. They will be quieter during the busy winter season. There is a JW Marriott at each of these beaches and Mai Khao also has a lovely Marriott Rennaisance hotel., if these are not budget busters. If they are too pricey then maybe Kata Thani resort on Kata Noi beach would better suit your needs.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 05:36 AM

I would arrive after jan 1... Hotels will be cheaper..

We love the jw marriott in khao lak, north of Phuket for our beach time... We will be there in 2 weeks in fact..

In bkk consider the plaza anthanee, peninsula, four seasons, renaissance, st Regis hotels among the nicest, and all affordable and way more lux than Mexico.

Internal flats are reasonable... Air Asia very cheap, but limits luggage--we. Leave luggage in bkk with bellmen and pick up upon return.

Bob
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far. After doing more research, I have more questions:
1. IF we don't do Chang Mai, will 10-12 days between bkk and the beaches be a good choice or too much of the same thing?
2. The peninsula, four seasons, renaissance, st Regis should be in our budget. Our budget is pretty flexible. We have stayed at really nice places throughout Mexico and Caribbean. What could we get for 200$/nt? What about $300/nt?
3. What should we plan on for a food budget? We like awesome food, anywhere between a nice sit down dinner or a great food stand.
3. Flight suggestions: we heard korean air is great, but it seem sot be $500 more than flight on china air or a few others? Thoughts? Best flight value?

Keep the suggestions open!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Also consider the Shangri-La in Bangkok. We had an incredible experience staying there.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:14 AM

IMO you should visit Chiang Mai since you have a lot of time and the weather will be nice. Also, by visiting Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket you would have visited 3 out 4 main regions of Thailand with their own unique culture, dialect and food.

For Bangkok I like to suggest a hotel on the river and the two best are the Mandarin Oriental and the Peninsula hotel. Other choices you might consider is the Anantara Riverside and Shangri La. Check for the best deal and you can't go wrong with either of these hotel. For hotels not on the river I like the Kempinski which is connected to a very nice mall and shopping area of Bangkok.

If you do decide to go to Chiang Mai then I really like the 137 Pillars House as well as the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi. Also very good but a bit out of town is the Four Seasons Mae Rim.

http://www.snhcollection.com/137pillarshouse/

Phuket and the areas around there have some fantastic hotels and resorts. However, these will be the most expensive but there are more economical choices. I really like the Amanpuri hotel there and for a honeymoon it will be perfect.

Search around for the best rates from local booking sites like Sawasdee.comq
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Oops sorry hit enter by mistake but do check out booking sites like sawasdee.com or agoda.com I have also found good deals directly from the hotel as well as premium booking sites such as kiwicollection.com

I have not flown with a Chinese airline to the US but have flown them to and from China. Hate the service but they are cheap!

For a very nice meal in Thailand expect to pay around $80 - 100 per person not including drinks. For local food in nice restaurants then around $30 per person and for street food it will be very cheap but do take caution on the cleanliness and hygiene.