Help planning Singapore and Malaysia trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are retired, and we want to go to Singapore and Malaysia. We have lots of time to spend for a leisurely trip.

We are thinking of a week in Singapore and a week in Malaysia. Would that be enough time.

We need recommendations for a hotel in Singapore that isn't really really expensive but is nice and close to things. The Singapore tourist bureau sent us lots of information on things to do there. Could use help about hotels and food.

We know nothing about Malaysia, and we are wondering where to stay and what to do there.

We would appreciate any and all suggestions.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM

A week in Singapore if you want a leisurely stay makes sense to me. (give us what kind of price you are looking for in a Singaporehotel so we can help) But a week in Malaysia? It's a big country with lots of different experiences.

Begin by deciding what kinds of experiences you want in Malaysia. There are gorgeous beaches with good snorkeling or diving, charming historal towns like Meleka or Georgetown, or wilderness and wildlife areas like Malaysian Borneo.

I'd suggest that you get a guidebook on Malaysia and get a sense of what your opportunities are. I'd recommend that you plan at least two weeks for Malaysia. That will give you a chance to sample a few areas.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

I just ordered a couple of guide books about Malaysia so I can be better informed and ask better questions.

In Singapore, I would like a hotel in the $75-$100 USD range. Is that a realistic amount for a nice hotel? I do not need a pool but want to be near things.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Yes, you should be able to get a nice hotel in that range. I'd suggest you go to one of the good booking sites like asiahotels.com and look at hotels in your price range. Then you can ask about particular hotels here.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:42 PM

What time of year are you planning for? IMO the nicest beaches and prettiest parts of Malaysia are on the east coast, which is quite rainy from late October through about late March. Singapore has a bit more rain then too (although that is relative). I would plan for the summer months, esp if you want to try to see any of the giant turtles which nest along the east coast (I understand these are quite rarely seen these days). Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com for historical average temps and rainfall.

Much as I enjoy Singpaore, a full 7 days may be a bit much. You might break it up, but doing 3-4 days on arrival, then go up to Mayalsia for a week or 10 days, then back down to Singapore for a final 2-3 days and a flight home. Alternatively, it usually is not any more expensive to fly into Singaore and out of Kuala Lumpur, you could look into both options and compare prices, plus the price and time of getting back down to Singapore depending upon how far north you plan on being in Malaysia.

Don't forget about Kalimantan, also known as Borneo, which is part of Malaysia and has a lot to offer (and weather is better in the summer as well). Another reason why you might want 10 days in Malaysia and 4-5 in Singapore.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM

7 days in Singapore is 4 days too many.

The interesting neighborhoods can easily be explored in a day. Sentosa Island and other nature experiences should be skipped if you are traveling to Malaysia.

Contrary to popular belief, the shopping isn't that great - prices and selection are better in the US.

Singapore does has some of the best food in the world. All kinds of curry.

I stay at either Raffles the Plaza or the Marriott. Marriott is right on Orchard and has very nice rooms. I prefer Raffles - great breakfast by the pool and the area is more interesting - less about shopping.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM

If you like the big cities I would do at least 2-3 days in Kaula Lumpur (KL). Shopping is better in KL than Sing. We found KL an interesting city- not in the same league as BKK - but interesting. Cost of things are much lower in KL.
As far hotels to stay in KL give us a price range and you will get better input.