Help planning route for Thailand trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to Thailand and Siem Reap in August and are intent on including Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap and Koh Samui. I know it's a lot to fit in with only 13 nights, but we don't want to eliminate anything since we don't know when we'll be back in that region. Any thoughts on how to divide the time and what routing makes sense? We arrive in BKK late at night and depart from BKK early morning 13 days later. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:25 AM

I really urge you to reconsider dropping one of the places, and I think it should be Samui, because Samui is really just a place to do nothing, read a book, swim. With 13 nights, and 1 night being arrival and another being the night before an early departure, you've only really got 11 nights to work with.

Travel between Bangkok and all of your destinations is simple, just a flight. But between your destinations will require a connection in Bangkok every time, eating up half a day or more of your trip in transit time. It really takes half a day to change locations when you include getting to the airport early, flying time, and time to your next hotel check in and so on. Adding another flight to that time will add at least 3 hours, as each time you connect in Bangkok you will have to allow time for checking in for the next flight as there are no direct or nonstops between Siem Reap and Chiang Mai and Koh Samui.

With your 13 nights, I'd do 1 in Bangkok on arrival then move right to Chiang Mai for 4 nights. Take an early morning/mid morning flight. Jet lag will have you awake anyway.

From Chiang Mai fly to Siem Reap via Bangkok. Spend 4 nights there...spending 4 nights will give you 3 full days there, which is the minimum really.

From Siem Reap, return to Bangkok and stay the final 4 nights there.

If you wanted to, you could take one day from each place above and then have 3 days in Samui, but I don't recommend it.

I've just gone round and round with a similar itinerary for next August...whether or not to include Samui on a 15 night itinerary that also includes Singapore, Siem Reap (and now Phnom Penh) and Bangkok. We have eliminated it....we have been 3 times in the past to Samui, and though we liked it, we were only going back because my daughter wanted a beach and found a hotel she liked...but in the end, even she has agreed to forego it for less time spent in airports and on airplanes and more time in Cambodia.

There is significant savings in using low cost carriers for your flights over Bangkok Air. 1 2 Go, Air Asia and Nok Air fly often to Chiang Mai. Air Asia flies BKK to Phnom Penh, which could save you lots if you did that route at least one way...and you'd see Phnom Penh too. Bangkok Air is the only airline flying between BKK and Samui and BKK and REP.

You never know when you will be back somewhere, but I really think that it would be a shame to rush your trip and potentially miss out on something because you were always on the go. Some of the best experiences and memories we have from our many trips are of times when we were just doing nothing, hanging out, talking with locals. It's also nice to have some room in your itinerary for spur of the moment things. Give yourself some time to enjoy each place you go.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:30 AM

I just re-read your other posts, and now I remember that you will be with your two children, too. Good that your eliminated one stop. I do think, though, that everyone will be happier with 3 places.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:38 AM

dump samui....you really need 3 full days in angkok...you don't say where you are coming from and that can make a difference as jet lague can be a problem on arrival if you are coming far like from europe or america...

two days bkk to begin, 3 full days siem reap (take 7PM flight out), 3 days chaing mai, 2 days bkk....way too tight...

would you consider just bangkok and siem reap? or bkk and one other place.... that would make a much nicer trip....stay at someplace like the marriott in bkk and then you would feel like you had had the tropical vacation experience because of their nice pool area....
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Bob, is Angkok a new destination in SE Asia? ;-)

I agree with Bob and Kim that 4 places is too many, especially with kids.

I know you say that you don't want to eliminate any of the destinations. You mention not knowing when you will be back in that region again. As you can see, many people on this board return to this region time and time again! I rarely go back to the same country unless I am visiting friends or relatives because there are SO many countries to visit. I was just in Thailand in Feb. and I am returning on Oct. 29th!

There is something about SE Asia that draws people back. I think it is the combination of wonderful people, delicious food, cultural diversity, great shopping and it is a bargain, to boot!!

As with most people who visit Thailand for the first time, you want to fit some time on one of Thailand's fabulous beaches. The kids would like that, too. Because of this, I would spend all your time in Thailand between Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Samui.

Enjoy!