Help Planning First Thailand Trip - Last Week of Dec, 1st Week of Jan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites! My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to Thailand the last week of December and the 1st week of January. Last January we went to Costa Rica and the Fodor's forum was very helpful. I know I will get the same helpful responses this time around.

We are leaving Wisconsin December 27th, returning January 9th, so we will be in Thailand over New Year's.

We are in our twenties and more into staying in hostels and smaller hotels. Of course I would want something safe and clean with hot water, but we are not the resort type. Also willing to spend a little more on lodging for a better location.

Some of the things we are interested in doing are going to Bangkok for a few days, going to a temple, elephant rides, surfing, kayaking, snorkeling, quiet beach time, bars, restaurants, experiencing local culture, and we would like to take the day trip to Phi Phi Ley.

Hopefully this gives you a good idea of what types of things we are looking for. Can anyone give me a good idea of an itinerary and places to stay? We might have enough points from business travel to stay in a Marriott for a few nights in one place. Also, where would be the best place to be for New Year's?

I'm so excited to get some responses and continue planning my trip. Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Thsi is a good breakdown:

BKK-3 days
Northern Thailand-3 days
Beach-4 days
BKK-2 days

This is the busiest time of the year. You should plan out your internal itinerary and book the flights and hotels as soon as possible.

If you give us a rough per night budget, we will recommend hotels.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM

The beaches will be very busy at that time of year so get cracking with the accomadation. In the short time you have,if you want to see Phi-Phi it will be a lot easier and quicker to do so from Krabi(Ao Nang)than from Phuket and it may be easier finding a place to stay there. Day trips to Phi-Phi can be an unfulfilling so perhaps consider 2 nights Ao Nang or Railay and 2 nights on Phi-Phi. That way you can leave for Phi-Phi Ley at first light and get there at the best time of the day. We did the trip on a privately hired long tail boat from Tonsai village (1500 baht for 3 hours)which included snorkelling and a visit to monkey beach, and loved it. It is also worth climbing to the viewpoint at Phi-Phi Don for sunrise or sunset. Both these are unforegetable experience and you will not get the best out of it on a day trip.

It would be great to spend New Years Eve in Bangkok if that fitted your schedule to see the fireworks on the river.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Yes, we need a budget and it will cost you more that time of the year. I'm on vacation in Bangkok every Dec/Jan for at least 3 weeks straight. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM

You do need to make plane and hotel reservations ASAP. Indeed, many places you are interested in will likely be sold out. And the places that are not sold out will be at their most expensive prices of the year.

Those who love PhiPhi on this board will advise you NOT to take a day trip there - either stay there or skip it. With a day trip you get to see the busiest part of the island overrun with people and will not get any real sense of PhiPhi.

Most resort hotels will have a mandatory New Years "gala", the cost of which is often $100 per person. So as you look at hotels, take that into consideration. In my experience, the big hotels in Bangkok usually do not have mandatory galas, and the places in Chiang Mai are unlikely to have them. But the already pricey beach resorts (and resorts outside of CM) are very likely to have them. So you may want to plan your itinerary around this.