advice for plannig new year trip to thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just decided with my boyfriend to plan a 10 days trip to thailand, for the new year holidays. Please, i would appreciate any advice on how to plan so to have the best experience. I was thinking to have 3 days in bangkhok, and the rest some travelling and rest on beautiful resort on an island. any suggestions?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM

You've left the planning quite late for peak season travel. You'll have trouble finding available rooms at many hotels.
What is your budget?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM

western new years or asian new years??

many of the best hotels will already be booked for western new years for this year....but you can try....be aware that many hotels require a mandatory new years' eve dinner at high prices...not all however...

i really like the marriott resort and spa in bkk....depends largely on your budget of course where you can stay....marriott is moderate...

peninsula is fantastic....

many of us prefer riverside hotels...they tend to be the more expensive...

less expensive: look at majestic grande, rembrandt, bangkok holiday inn on plenochit, courtyard by marriott, centre point serviced apartments in many places in bkk.....

i have a bkk restaurant listing....if you wish a copy ask:

[email protected]

take a look at koh chang for your beach place....also koh samui, krabi, khao lak, phuket....chiang mai and chiang rai for countryside time....
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM

We need more info...price range, interests, etc. Plus, it is VERY late to be planning now. I made my plans about 9 months in advance of this upcoming Dec/Jan trip. You'd better be very flexible at this late date. Good luck. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
jnp

I also have a question for the experts about traveling in southeast asia in December - when does the busy season start? We will be there until December 18th and the couple weeks beforehand will be in Luang Prabang and Chiang Rai, possibly Vietnam. Will we be running into problems that early in December?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM

there will be no problems really or there will not be overcrowding....but hotels in places like LP and SR run short during the high season, esp. oin LP....
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

wow guys, thanx so much for your valuable input. but please bear in mind that we are going there for the first time. so my question is how to plan 10 days? i was thinking to go couple of days to bangkhok and some days to a moderate fancy resort for the new year somewhere on the seaside (somethink like phuket or pattaya). please help me to choose the beach destination. also is there something else in thailand, that we REALLY MUST NOT MISS?
our budget would be something like 3000 EURO (3600 USD), not including airfare to and from thailand.
thanks
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM

miruna - ok we have an idea now, as you say Euros then you must be coming from Europe.
I would do a couple of things.

First I would get to a travel agent and 'book those flights', make it easy and book a Bangkok return, now you really should try and do that today ( Saturday ) or at least get to a travel agent to find availability and see if you can hold some options. From the weekend before Christmas to about mid January is going to be peak, so you really must decide some fixed dates and get those flight seats 'booked'.

Tell us where you are flying 'from' and perhaps we can give some ideas.

2nd thing, try also to do this Saturday is go into a bookshop and pick up a travel guide book for Thailand, now, we all know prices and some data is out of date but it gives you are 'starting point', spend the weekend with your boyfriend going through the book to get a 'feel' for what you want to see and do.

You certainly will be comming back (!) so on a first trip keep it simple, with 10 days probably some days in Bangkok and Phuket would suit you fine.

If you browse the book you will be in a better position.

On budget, it does vary just so much, tell us if you want quiet beach or you want lively or in between, if you want to head out and party at night be straight and tell us, so we can suggest ideas to suit you.

Also tell used how particular you are on accommodation, do you want something 'special' or you just want something clean, comfortable, mid range tourist level hotel / resort.

If you want to add like where you have been before, which places you liked, why, what you didn't like, why, tta helps to get closer to what would be ideal for you.

Although demand over that time in Phuket is high there are quite a few new places opening so you should be ok.

Check with t/agent for flights, get that guide-book ( Fodors, Frommers whatever- other can suggest ), browe, get a feel.

Then we can suggest beach and hotels. Also tell us sort of hotel you want in Bangkok.
Once you have your long-haul flights settled and decide beach, next step is to book the domestics.

If you are heading down from Scandinavia or Northern Europe Dec/Jan airlines have more flights, Finnair goes to twice daily and Scandinavian (SAS) goes up to twice daily, plus lots of options thru the Gulf etc.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM

with 10 days, you can really only do 2 places well, and 3 if you rush. is 10 days including the time you lose flying? i.e. if you fly out from the US in the afternoon, you will get there on the morning of the second day. (say you fly out dec 18 at 3pm, you get there midnight on dec 20).

If you really have full 10 days, You should do Bangkok for 4 days and then one island for 4 days. With the other two days, you can do a side trip from Bangkok by bus to see some temples. If you don't have 10 days, you basically can only do Bangkok and one part of the islands (Phuket/Krabi side has best weather then).

This is very high season for Thailand and you need to book flights asap. Many popular hotels are already booked up for those days. Start asap!

For cheap flights to the islands, check out Air Asia and Nok Air.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM

smart has a good plan i think....4, 4 and 2...so i would do bkk and one beach...do a drivable one like hua hin or jontiem (pattaya)...patt. itself is a bit of a dump....a sex location....but jontiem is really nice and low key...

the sheraton at jontiem is fantastic....but not cheap...

marriott resort and spa in bkk is nice, as is the peninsula and shangri-la....majestic grande is cheaper and fairly new...

holiday inn on plenochit is also good and less expensive as is the courtyard in the same area...
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM

Hi Miruna,

I spent two weeks in Koh Samui in between stays in Bangkok. It was fantastic and from what I hear not as crazy as Phuket. But not having been to Phuket, that is just what I heard.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Dear james and bianca and rhkk...
well i gthe fodors book on thailand, so im on the right track now...
about hotel in bkk, i would like something not too fancy, but clean and comfortable and especially close to where the action is, which means sightseeing, shopping and stuff.i read about courtyard, rembrandt, are they good? what do you think?
also should i book them directly on the internet, or should i get a travel agent to find me something? usually travel agents from here (i am in romania) can get only 4-5 stars.

for phuket, i would like something good, if not good 4 or 5 stars, then something funky villa, also close to the beach and to the center of the town.

another question, about the low cost airlines in thailand, can i make the reservation on the internet already?

also, for bkk, what outside trips do you recommend?

thanks a lot and kisses
miruna
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM

i am coming for my first trip to romania on oct 16.....maybe we could meet up....my wife and i have met many fodorites around the world.....what city do you live in or near?

contact me at: [email protected]

you can make all your reservations on line fine.....the discount hotel sites are the best as they usually include tax/service (17.7%) and breakfast....i use two sites: www.huahin.20m.com and www.asiarooms.com
both of these are prepay sites so don't make any res until you know exactly what you wish to do....changes can often be difficult...

courtyard is new and well located....it is run by marriott...

rembrandt is indian owned and the rooms are nice as well but it is about a 5 minute or more walk to the sky train...

my favorite is the marriott resort and spa on the river....

the majestic grande is also sort of new and is indian owned as well...it is an excellent location....

the bangkok holiday inn is also new and very nice....its the one on plenochit and right near the skytrain...

serviced apartments are good too....centre point has several locations as does ascott....

nok air and bkk air are the best of the discount airlines....air asia is ok too....booking is no problem over the internet....major prob. with discounters is that they allow very little luggage....most will accept res now for end of the year and up until march 08

old phuket inn is a decent place in phuket.....
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 02:58 AM

miruna, my geography knowledge of Europe is limited so forgive any errors.
From Bucharest you might want to look at LTU flights from Munich, LTU is like a scheduled charter, they go into Bangkok and also into Phuket from Munich, so should be cheap.
Also Austrian has daily flights from Vienna to Bangkok.
I am wild guessing that Munich/Vienna might be good transit points for you, Ludthansa also has lots of flights from Frankfurt, your agent may also have deals with Emirates via Dubai from Munich and ienna also. Many years ago Tarom used to fly direct but they stoped a long time back.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

wow james, you really know your stuff, dont you? i am IMPRESSED. how did you know all these details about airlines?
how should i choose the resort in phuket?

robert, thank you so much for your advice. i will be glad to meet you down in bucharest, because thats where i live.
where are you planning to visit in romania?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

robert, also, for getting ideas about romania, you can check this agency's website. i dont know if its updated or not, but they cater to individual requests as well.

http://www.ultramarine.ro/engleza/
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

Tellus if you want a busy beach resort ( with nightlife etc ), or something perhaps 20 mins from busy areas, or something very quiet.

Then tell us if you want a luxyury sort or resort, small boutique place, there are 'hundreds' of places ranging from low budget guesthouses to expensive resorts, tell us if you want relaxing 3 star or you are after luxury or you want budget.

Remember than being 'right on the beach' can be expensive, further back gets cheaper.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM

mir---we will be in bucharest from oct 16 to oct 19, 2007 and staying at the intercontinental hotel.....my name is robert kimball

lets plan to get together....send me a date and time on the e mail site you have already used....
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM

Mir - was your lucky day to ask on Fodors!

Bob will be able to give you all the tips, suggestions and ideas, it will really help you get the best from your trip !

If you want to browse some of the Phuket beaches to get a 'feel' of what is available try
http://www.beachsiam.com/phuket.html

That gives you some idea of what sorts of places are available.

My ignorance makes me look at the map of Romania, sorry I did not know was so far from Munich. Turkish Airlines go daily non stop from Istanbul, looking in the area it seems you need to pick up a long haul flight from some place like Vienna.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM

no one knows as much about thailand as james.....we love his advice....any time i have used it we have not been disappointed.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -