Help on Thailand Vietnam Question

Aug 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Help on Thailand Vietnam Question

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning my trip to Thailand and Vietnam. It is a very long flight from NY (my hometown) and I would like to stay at least 2 to 3 weeks. It seemed logical to go to both places. I was getting excited planning and decided to do a bike trip in Thailand. This is when I realized almost all Thailand trips are planned between November and February. After researching I realized it is because of the weather (it seems VIetnam's weather is fine all year). Here is my dilemma. I'm a teacher and can't take off for a couple of weeks during that time of year. I could go to Thailand for a week and then at a later date go to Vietnam, but that seems like a very short time for such an expensive and long flight. How bad is the weather between the end of June and early September in comparison to the ideal months to travel? Also, out of June through early Sept. which months would be best? We have been focusing on Northern Thailand. Thanks for any input.
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM

the summer is very hot and humid...i can't honestly imagine doing a bike trip in thailand even if i were in shape....i can imagine doing what some do around bkk for a day or 1/2 day but not for longer...

remmeber the worst day and nite you have had weatherwise this summer in ny??? well add 10 degrees to that and add lots more humidity and that is every day and nite in thailand, year round.....still interested??
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM

if you decide to go look at the new thai air flight direct to bkk from nyc---17 hours 5 minutes...the best time hands down
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow, sounds hot! Rhkkmk - it is this temp. all year long? I just came back from a bike tour in Tuscany, and it was under the Tuscan sun hottt, but bearable. Not as humid there. So, in the summer months it is the rainy season. Monsoon crazy rain, or just rain? Sorry don't know much about this region, as I said I'm just starting to plan. The guide books are a bit confusing because Thailand has different seasons according to where you go and I'm having a hard time just finding a book on Thailand.
Also, thanks for the airline info. i'm trying to do frequent flyer miles through American - I will look and see if they partner with Thai air.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:51 AM

Read my lips- forget biking for more than a few hours- you have no idea what you are getting yourself in for- the heat/humidy will wear you down unless you train in such conditions.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:22 AM

the rainy season in most of thailand really is not bad until the end of august and all of september....this is a generalization....i have been two years in a row to thailand in may/june...there were some heavy rains this june, but mostly at nite or late in the day....it usually only lasted for an hour...

no comparison tuscany and thailand...tuscany on its hottest day would equal thailand at 2AM on its coolest day....
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies. So how does this sound, no bike riding, only elephants...I'm convinced. I just went for a spin here in NY and I found that too hot. So I'll abandon the bike touring idea. That said, would it be reasonable weather wise to go to Thailand and Vietnam at the end of June, beginning of July as oppose to Nov. through Feb.?
Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:12 AM

November through February is the "coolest" season in Thailand. If you can do a two week trip in that time frame you are better off, but if not, go when you can.

In terms of books about Thailand, do get yourself a good guide book. There are at least half a dozen differnt ones that would be adequate: Lonely Planet, Insight Guides, etc.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM

i can only speak up to june 20...that is the lates summer time i have been there....i did not find it all that much hotter than nov/dec honestly....it just rains more....but as i said our experience was short showers although some very heavy ones...
some have reported july and august to be very nice vacation times....you just have to plunge....this is why i love a pool so i can totally cool off frequently during my stay...

bike riding....you might be interested in that group in and around bkk...the leader is dutch and the experience is very enjoyable i guess....1/2 days i believe...do a search here...most posts were last winter...
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:40 PM

I've always been to thailand during the cool season but if the summer isn't too bad I might consider it in the future since hotels are so much cheaper. So, Bob, will air conditioning work as well to cool off as a pool since I can;t do pools?
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM

if you crank it up....better still have the butler do it!!! or he can just stand there with a fan over you..