Hello From Cambodia

Search

Hello From Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello From Cambodia

Baby powder and dancing around a tree? Yeah, I managed to stumble upon the last village celebrating Khmer New Years. Little did I know what was to transpire as we followed some kids with painted faces through the jungle!

I'm trying to suppress some rather bizare pictures floating around the internet of me busting loose with some jaw-dropping dance moves while coated with a couple of bottles of baby powder.

Don't ask me why they do it, but dancing with a couple hundred new friends was loads of fun and a good way to end another fine day. Well almost the end - me and my trusty TUt-Tut driver had to make a mad dash out to Angkor Wat to catch sunset. A huge storm was brewing and we snapped a few and then raced back to the hotel; making it just as the the skies really opened up. Big time rain!

Just got back tonight from the Temple Bar: Dance show, $2 cocktails and $4 Cambodian pizza. Life is good; especially after that 2 hour oil massage ($12, okay, okay I went cheap and skipped the spa this time. so beat me - she did!)
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:24 AM

And where are those incrimnating pictures posted????????

I remember your posts before leaving. Where did you decide to stay?

Will be looking for the rest of this reeport.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
jgg

We were just there at the beginning of Khmer New Years and the kids at the school we visited were putting the baby powder on their faces - we didn't understand why until we asked our guide - what an interesting way to celebrate!!

We got caught in one of those rainstorms on our way to the temples - pretty cool though!!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

What a fine trip to Siem Reap - people, prices and places are all grand. And they throw in two or three geckos for free in all the rooms.

Weather is super hot and humid, but I plan my explorations with 3-4 hour segements early in the morning and then again in the late afternoon (best time also for pictures) to avoid the heat and crowds.

You can get "templed out" so I find it best to drink in the beauty in small, but intense doses. And watch out for the monkey they have fleas and can bite!

Transport is very cheap. A tut-tut for all day is $10-12, and a car and driver about $25, add guide for $35 more. I'd suggest a guide and driver for one day at least just to get your bearings and get over jetlag if coming direct from the States.

Degas Tip: Check prices at both the old and central markets, and be ruthless with your discounting. I've been shooting for 50%, and they bitch and moan, but still sell at a profit.

I'm buying silk shirts, silver, sharfs, for the LW and handbags, and wall hanging for the kids.

On the serious side, I did a little hiking in the countryside (stay on the paths as they still have a landmine problem), and talked to the local folks a bit. They all seemed to like Americans and many tried to practice English with me. Kids were adorable. But beware, poverty is intense here, with lots of unemployed. Some of the houses where little more than shacks on stilts.

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:19 PM

If you have a chance,be sure to visit the silk farm and shop at Artisans d'Angkor.It's delightful.Have a mangosteen for me!
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM

Degas-we are hoping for a complete report upon your return. You have a great sense of humor that we like to share.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

On the way home, hope to post a full trip report in a few days. Skipped the elephant ride to the airport and did a tut-tut. Bringing back curry spices, amok, and lemongrass. Developed a liking for the food.

I did go to the silk farm and also the artist compound in town. Very nice quality goods.