Search

HCMC/Saigon vs. Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HCMC/Saigon vs. Hong Kong

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I will visit Vietnam starting 10 May, for 2 weeks. We'll spend 4 days in Hanoi, a couple of days in Halong Bay, then 4 days in the Phan Thiet area. That leaves us about 5 days remaining. We have a thought of rather than spending additional time in south Vietnam, we might fly to Hong Kong from HCMC and spend 4 days there. I don't generally hear wildly positive comments about HCMC so I'm half inclined to consider heading for Hong Kong.

Question: what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of spending 4 days in Hong Kong vs. HCMC and environs? what would you choose?

Any thoughts or guidance from those with experience in both places would be appreciated!! Many thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM

There is no comparison between the two cities and I think HK will get the unanimous vote on being the more interesting. However, you have to think about the cost factor and how HK fits into your overall travel itinerary.
I happen to really enjoy Saigon and would have no trouble filling four days in and around that city. I have been twice and plan to go back someday. also, how much of a factor is the very hot weather you will likely encounter in southern Vietnam? How likely are you to return to that part of the world? That said, I seem to be in the minority here and my guess is that the vote will swing toward HK.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM

With just two weeks, you could easily spend all of that time in VN. HCMC isn't the only option for the way to spend the rest of your time. You might consider Hue and Hoi An as the way to use your remaining days, for instance, or perhaps HCMC with a trip to the delta. I'd encourage you to find areas that interest you in VN, rather than adding Hong Kong.

I love Hong Kong, but it's expensive (if that matters to you) and entirely different culture. It will also likely be hot and muggy in Hong Kong in May (once I lucked out and had fabulous weather, another time...)
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:45 PM

I agree with the aboves.
You also should consider Sapa, a very unique destination in SEA.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Kathie's suggestions are good.

Personally, I thought HCMC was a bit of a dump, but loved all other parts of Vietnam, especially Hoi An and Hanoi (never got to Hue, although everyone says that's great - and apparently, so is Sapa).

But to answer your question: I'd do Hongkong in preference to HCMC, if that was the ONLY choice I had.

BTW, if you do Halong Bai, you will only have 2 days in Hanoi, so maybe you could spend more time there.