Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Having difficulty posting? Do you use McAfee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a new lead in the case of the mysterious cropped screen that several of you have complained over the past 3 months.

Are the forums not loading properly for you? Is the search function cropped off? Are you unable to see the tag to "Post a new message?"

We noticed that a high number of users that complained of this problem were Comcast users. A Fodorite has written in to say that McAfee anti-virus software was offered to many Comcast subscribers. After tinkering with this McAfee's settings (or uninstalling McAfee as one poster did), the page appeared corrected.

While we further investigate this lead, I wanted to inform the community of this new information---hopefully it will help those of you who haven't been able to fully utilize the Forums.

Also, we'd be curious to hear from folks that do run McAfee with no problems.

Thanks, as always, for your patience!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Well, I may be a good test case. I have a PC with McAfee at work and have a DSL connection. At home, I work on a Mac, using the Safari browser with a comcast connection (and no McAfee).

I have not had problems in the last couple of months on Fodors, but when I did have problems a few months back, the problems were consistenly the same on both computers.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM

I use a Mac with Safari too, no McAffee, and at times have problems with the forum not loading properly, for example when I click on a title in the left frame to read a message, the messages appear jumbled, with text mixed from message to message, messages out of order, with authors names mixed into text messages...a real mess. Sometimes I have to reload several times before it's right. Most recently happened today.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM

And I don't have a Comcast connection.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I have Comcast, McAfee, and ongoing problems with posting and searching. It looks like we are getting closer to a solution, doesn't it!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

KimJapan--- your problem sounds a little separate than the one that so many have been complaining about but I'd be curious to get to the bottom of that one too. I can pass that one on to our tech support too.

The cropped screen/search has been plaguing the site for months; I'm so glad we finally have a lead!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM

KH:

While you are passing on issues to the tech support, would you mind mentioning that the "edit" function often does not work. I write a long part of a trip report and check for errors. I correct the errors only to find, when I press "post my reply" that the corrections do not appear. This is really annoying and causes many unintentional errors.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM

I too have found that very often when using edit, my corrections show in the edit screen, but when I preview or post, then the original script returns.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know. I did not know that was a problem. Does there seem to be any rhyme or reason to it? How often does this occur?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:29 AM

It happens to me every time I write a trip report. It appears to happen then because the posts are quite long and time elapses between the original writing and the editing. My experience is exactly that of Lehigh above..they show up on the edit screen but not in the preview or final post..so I can do all the editing I want, only to have the text revert to the original when it posts for the final time..
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Yes, that edit bug happens to me, too! (Win2000/IE6.2) It seems to happen most often when it's a long post; I typically reread and edit lengthy posts a few times before hitting Post My Reply, and the edits not taking occurs in these situations.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Hi

I use McAfee and have no problems.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM

I haven't had a problem either... I have McAfee and I'm running Windows XP with the IE7 browser.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Katie - I was on youtube this weekend and noticed a similar problem with some of the options near the top of the page being sliced off horizontally, just like the post and search functions on my Fodor's page. I remember also having a somewhat similar problem with a local online newspaper with the text running into the photos. And I do use Comcast and McAfee. Hm-m-m-m.