Hate Chiang Mai?

Search

Hate Chiang Mai?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate Chiang Mai?

I've noticed that Chaing Mai gets mixed reviews from fodorites. Some seem to even hate it. Why is that? Are they referring to the city or the entire area?
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM

While I don't "hate" Chaing Mai, I don't particularly like it, and I do discourage people who think it's a must see in Thailand. Why? Well, Chaing Mai gets billed to travelers as a lovely hill town. In fact, it's the second largest city in Thailand. Yes, there are some lovely wats, and nice shopping bargains. But it's not a "unique cultural experience." It's not that its a terrible pace, but it has the big city problems (air pollution, for instance) without the big city advantages. It's rather boring after Bangkok, and it certainly isn't the quiet and charm of small towns or more rural areas.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:07 AM

I second what Kathie says. Chiang Mai use to be a "lovely hill town" - no more. It's ok for a couple of days at the most. We appreciated its contrasting Lanna Thai style of architecture and the crafts villages on the outskirts. We also enjoyed the low-key and inexpensive restaurants along the river. By the end of our 2nd day there, we had run out of things to do.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:59 AM

I think the thing that makes Chiang Mai so popular is that it's a good staging ground for trips up into the hill tribe regions. It's also a nice comparison to Bangkok. There are some great cooking and massage classes available there as well.
The city itself isn't "fabulous" but we enjoyed our time there, including a 3 day trip into the mountains.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:06 PM

i am one who often speaks in the negetive about CM...i can never really put my finger on why but i think kathie and craig have given the feeling of why...i went once thought ...what are people raving about...so i went back again and came away scratching my head...the shopping is good but not fabulous...everything is available in bkk if you look--maybe slightly more expensive, but not much...
the temples and wats are ok but not really fabulous except maybe doi sutup???...don't remember how to spell it..the national park is ok but generally boring...
so in june i am going to try the golden triangle and see if i like that better...the elephants are my fondest memory of CM actually
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM

I agree. If you've never been, I would say go check it out for 2-3 nights but don't spend more than that, it would be a waste of time.

We like to go up there because I like buying silver from some of the shops on "silver street" in town (I forget the name) and my husband has a place in the Chinatown area that he likes to buy gold from.

We've been up there twice and do plan on going again (for above mentioned reasons) but we'll keep it to 2 nights. We've already done the handicraft villages and the doi, etc. so there isn't really much else reason to go.

As said above, it is quite boring after city life. We love the city and much prefer BKK
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM

I did't mind Chiang Mai, and in fact I am glad I went and I think you should go see it and the surrounding area at least once. It sounds like you are curious enough about it, so if you can afford the time (if that is what you are concerned about) then it's fine for a few days.

But I too want to mention, as Kristina did, Chiang Mai as a city itself is not the real attraction. It is simply the staging ground for other trips into the hillside villages and countryside. Many of these tours are real touristy, but I am a tourist so I just made the best of it all and enjoyed myself. A day in the city is fine and you can do the usual tourist shopping the same as in other Thai cities, so it's nothing special in that respect.

Personally, having gone once, though, I will plan future trips visiting the beach areas and other regions whenver I go back to Thailand.

So, having said this, if you don't have much time and prefer beach-area travel, then you could skip Chiang Mai.