CHIANG MAI - NYT - ARTICLE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an article...makes you not want to go to Chiang Mai. We are planning our first trip to Thailand this fall and Chiang Mai was a place I was considering but I am wary after reading that article.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Chiang Mai can be nice, but not as extraordinary as BKK. Our second trip to CM was enhanced by a customized tour from ChiangMaiTours.com. If you go to CM, take a look and correspond with Sergeant Kai. He's a very prompt correspondent.

I do agree with the NYT article that middle of the road accomodations are not great in CM.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Do a search on this board. You'll find that there are those who like Chaing Mai and those who do not (I'm in the later camp), For many years Chaing Mai has bdeen sold to new visitors as the "real" Thailand, "Traditional Village Life" and suuch. It clearly is not. It has some great shopping, but I don't find CM pleasant.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM

What did the article say?

I always remind visitors that Chiang Mai is the 2nd largest city, it 'is' a city. I am not a city person, the further away I am happier. As far as a 'real Thailand' well you can find that in Bangkok, CM, Khon Kaen or anywhere, depends how you view the term 'real Thailand', I guess in the same way if someone wanted the 'real' America , where would it be? The NY Bronx or Des Moines Iowa or some small town in Arizona? I guess the answer is they are all in their own way 'real'.

Remember 90%+ of Thailand rarely if ever sees a 'tourist', glad quite a few are looking at places like Lampang etc to enjoy. CM is fine is you appreciate it is a large city, good base to get out and see other places.

Still curious what the article said!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM

James A =

I posted this yesterday morning but perhaps you missed it:

"There is an interesting article in the Sunday travel section entitled "Chiang Mai, a Hippie Hideaway, goes Upscale". If you are registered (free) you can see on the website (www.nytimes.com) as well. Mentions all the new hotels and resorts."

It is a fairly balanced article that points out both the positives and negatives of the city. I think denice7 is a little off-base in saying that it makes you not want to go.

I believe as the 2nd largest city in Thailand, Chiang Mae is worth 2 days of ones time, just to see the differences in architecture (Lanna style) and to shop in the handicraft villages. I don't need to go back though.