Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hat Yai to BKK - flight/train reliability ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have knowledge of flight and or train reliability from Hat Yai to BKK in mid january time frame (Crystal ball anyone ? ;-) ). We are planning a flight connection to Hong Kong and want to have a sense of the chances of making it !

PS - If anyone is interested in train infomation (world wide) if you haven't already, may I suggest you look at www.seat61.com !
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM

I've taken planes and trains from HatYai to BKK on numerous occassions over the years and they have always been as "reliable" as anywhere else. That is they left on time, on near enough to it.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Trains are reliable but it is a single track so if there is a problem on the line....I would say fly, Nok Air is good for budget flights but if you want to connect with an international flight same day I would fly with Thai. Who are you flying with BKK-HKG, if it's Thai then Thai is the way to go as you can check thru from Hat Yai as Hat Yai is designated 'International'.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

The flight the next day is with C.Pacific at 11.55...

I must say your idea of flight is quick and easy and pretty much the same cost as a train !

My main worry was getting back from Koh Lipe to BKK on the day prior day to the HK flight in good time . I know a sea storm would wreck any travel plans but assuming the weather is good I think its possible, (if the boat times are anywhere near right according to those published by “Andanan Island Hopping”) .

Steve
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:16 AM

Remember Lipe is a long way offshore, and all sorts of problems & happenings can delay those ferries, then you have the journey from Pakbara to HatYai airport. I would consider taking a night flight to BKK or overnighting in HatYai. Probably not absolutely necessary but worth concidering nonetheless.