I have a few Thailand Questions

Oct 17th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

I have a few Thailand Questions

Hi I'm going to Thailand just after christmas and have a few questions I hope someone can answer. I've booked the New Siam 2 guest house in Bangkok - anyone know what it's like? I'm then going to Koh Samui and have been told to avoid Chaweng as it's apparently really tacky so we're looking into Mae Nam beach instead - we're only there for 3 days (over new year's eve). Does anyone have opinions on whether Chaweng or Mae Nam are better for such a short stay?
Then we're travelling overnight to Koh Phi Phi but I can't find any up to date info on what the main tourist resorts are like now post Tsunami. Any info would be fantastic. Thanks
Oct 17th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Chaweng beach does have its fair share of clubs, pizza huts, internet cafes and the like...but the beach is nice, and very long. I stayed there a few nights, and used it as a jumping off point to go to Koh Tao and other sites on koh samui. I didn't go to Mae Nam beach...
Nov 12th, 2005, 01:08 PM

My wife and I are booked in there from 12/31 to 1/7/06 - it was recommended to us by a friend who has stayed there several times - so I thinks it simple but 'ok'

Steve
Nov 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM

I stayed on Chewang a couple of years ago, during the summer months. It was fine then. Yes, there is more activity there, and now that many more tourists are going there instead of Phuket, it is much busier than when I stayed at the Regent.

I was on Phuket in late September. It is definitely READY for tourists. DO got there!! They need the tourist dollars. We had a wonderful time on Kata Noi Beach at the Kata Thani. I would recommend that resort in a heartbeat.

Carol
Nov 13th, 2005, 12:27 AM

Chaweng certainly has far more bars/shops/buildings/traffic/crowds than MaeNam but Chaweng also has a superior beach. It's nice and relaxing to the North of Samui, around MaeNam & BoPhut & Big Buddha but the water isn't very clear and the beaches are not pretty. Personally I prefer ChoengMon or Lamai or Chaweng Noi to MaeNam.
The latest I heard on PP was the infrastructure was back in place for the budget/backpacking travellers but it will still be some time before the upmarket tourists will be fully catered for. So in other words, if you're not interested in roughing it a bit then you'll probably be better off staying at Samui or going to Phuket.
Nov 13th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Never been to Samui or Phi Phi (loved the Krabi area though) so can't help there. But I have stayed at New Siam 2 a numher of times, most recently 2 months ago.

It is my home from home of choice in BKK. Rooms are large, bathrooms nice - but if you prefer fan to a/c as I do, be sure to check that windows lock and mozzie netting is undamaged - on the whole, they are - but do check.

The staff are friendly and very efficient. Cafe offers good cheap and cheerful food. Internet, luggage storage. And it's ideally located being not on Kho San Rd but close enough to all the facilities of that area.

An excellent choice!!!