Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at hte Westin Chang Mai?

Jun 22nd, 2003, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to stay at the Regent in Chang Mai But when I conmpared the price between The Regent and the Westin there was a big difference. Is it worth the difference or is the Westin nice enough?
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:03 PM

two years ago we stayed at the westin for 5 nites and i have visited the regent, but not stayed there....
first lets talk location....the westin is just outside the downtown area...the regent is many miles out of town with no place to walk to...

the regent is absolutely beautiful, perfect really...it is on a side road and is really a self-contained unit...they want you to think of it as a village---albeit a lux village...

i like lux but i do not like issolation plus the price is paris price....it might be fun for a day or two or a month if your company was paying for it...

the westin is a high rise on the outskirts of the town near a hospital and the river....the area is not too nice but it is safe and there is plenty of transportation to town....the lobby is impressive with lots of marble...the rooms are large....i think i paid $75 or so and it was worth that....the breakfast was good but service was a bit slow as i remember...the massages were great....i forget the pool for some reason so we must not have used it...
i think you would be happy with this hotel as one of the best choices in town, unless you plan on hanging out in the hotel all day in which case you might prefer the regent (the regent is owned by the american who owns the marriott resort and spa in bkk and hua hin and pattaya and phuket and chiang rai (different name--bora bora or similar))
there is a new botique hotel in CM just inside the wall...it has been discussed here a few months ago..it sound lovely but i do not have the name for you...it is more central...CM is small so it is easy to get around no matter where you stay however...the first time i went there i stayed at the holiday inn green hills which now has a new name, also a hi-rise (lost power for 2.5 days--great with no a/c)...
i have had a great driver there who would help you out--cheap and makes life so easy...his name is Manop Noomsri...he is often at the airport in parking space #11...just ask anyone for manop...his phone is: (053) 275390...address: 311/1 MU 1. T.yuwa; Sanpatong Chiang Mai; Thailand 50120..

a better number for him is his cell: 01-9527501.....
he will do anything you want including to and from airport
his english is quite good
he is an excellent driver
Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:44 PM

I agree with what has been said about the Regent and the Westin. Transport is a problem with the Regent.

I believe that the botique hotel referred to may be Tamarind Village. www.tamarindvillage.com

You might also consider Rydges, newly opened and not in the Regent class but good location and offering some good deals at the moment. http://www.rydges-chiangmai.com
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:03 AM

Rydges is what i was referring to...thanks for the memory boost
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check out the hotel. I'm going to phuket. Any suggestions on hotels there.
Thanks,
Susan
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Joe

Forget the Regent and the Westin and stay at the River View Lodge. Not luxury, but the location is perfect (right on the river and walking distance to the night bazzarr and the old city) and the staff are friendly and helpful...they also speak English. The rates back in March were about $40/night with breakfast. You won't be disappointed...it's recommended in all the travel guides.
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Joe,
I have tried to find a website for the River View Lodge but I can't find one.
Please help.
Thanks,
Susan
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:06 PM

susan--can't help with phuket, at least not yet...can help with hua hin and bangkok (5 times)...a great book for thailand, if i didn't mention it above is: the treasurers and pleasurers of thailand available thru impact books...

the local cm restaurant/bar that we like is: the riverside restaurant right in the middle of town on the river...there is also an excellent restaurant out on the "shopping street" outside of town, i think it is called "bann suan"...it is a group of thai houses around a swimming pool and the thai food is excellent...it is set back from the main road...we have also had a good meal at the piccola roma restaurant (italien??)..the jj bakery is also quite nice...
fabulous store for cotton goods: Nandakwang cotton...also a smaller shop in bkk on soi 23, sukumvit rd....
hope this helps
Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:45 AM
Joe

Susan,
The website for the River View Lodge is www.riverviewlodgch.com. Unfortunatley, you can't make resevations online....at least I couldn't find a way. I called before leaving for Thailand.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:34 AM

The Westin and Regent are different classes of hotels, so you can't really compare them. The Regent is a destination resort of a luxury standard; the Regent is more of a city hotel. The Regent has an excellent spa. If your aim is to relax and be papmered, then I would choose the Regent. If you just want to sleep at the hotel and do more sightseeing and trekking, then the Westin would be fine.

Phuket has a huge range of hotels in all price ranges. If you want luxury, pampering and Thai style, you really are talking about the Amanpuri, go to their website www.amanhotels. This is a world-famous, world-class hotel. Definitely worth it. The Chedi, which is next store and shares the same beach, is a nice hotel, not in the same class as the Amanpuri, but then again not as expensive. Many people also like the Chedi, which is next door to the Amanpuri, but I think the rooms are a little dark and many of them do not have bathtubs. Another hotel to consider for luxury and pampering would be the Banyan Tree. It would be closer in luxury and style to the Amanpuri, but not as preferable to me as IMO, as the beach access is not as good. I would also put in a good word for the Sheraton and the JW Marriott. The Sheraton has several nice pools as well as a good spa and health club. You can also book appointments at the Bayan Tree Spa next door, and I believe you can play golf at the course at the Bayan Tree. The hotel is very large, but manages to run everything well, and gives somewhat of a feeling of a smaller hotel. The Sheraton and the Banyan Tree are part of a complex of 4 other hotels connected by waterways, so you can visit other hotels and use their restaurants and facilities. The complex is about 20 minutes outside of Patong (the main city) which to me is preferable. It is about 30 minutes from the airport. There is a very nice shopping area in the complex as well, with a Jim Thompson silk shop. The beach is very nice, wide and curving, with a gentle surf. The beach is not private (no beaches in Phuket are private) so you will get a bit of the massage ladies and soft drink vendors coming up to you; however it is not really bothersome.

The Marriott is brand-new and is on its own beach north of the airport. The drawback here is that it is a bit isolated as it is not near other hotels or restaurants. The good news is that it is very close to Blue Canyon, the best golf course on the island IMO.

The Meridien gets good reviews on this site, and has a good location.