Hanoi visit during Tet 2016

Old Jan 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi visit during Tet 2016

My husband and I made a rookie mistake and booked 5 days in Hanoi over Tet (5-9th Feb). At first we were excited to experience the celebration but then learned many things will be closed. Should we go anyway or rebook? Our original plan was to really focus on exploring the city for those 5 days with maybe only a day trip to one of the hill cities.

I went to Hanoi once 15 years ago and it was so wonderful. I want my husband and kids to also have an amazing time.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:43 AM

I go to Hanoi frequently, but never over Tet. It should be very quiet there part of the time, but the real problem will be getting out of the city (most all transport will be impossible unless you hire a car - will be quite expensive then).

Hanoi will also be cool and probably overcast in early Feb, but it will certainly be an experience for you. If you want to take the trip to Sapa, I suggest you book it NOW (that is if you can get a reservation. I am friendly with a very good agent in Hanoi who might be of help - Mr. Diep Tran of Vietnamtour Limited (email to [email protected]).

Good luck - It would be interesting to hear how you've made out, but there's always something to do in Asia's most interesting city. I'll be there myself in another 6 weeks.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Information for TET travel here:

http://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/vietnam/127
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Tet is very interesting holiday in Vietnam, many local rich culture happen these days, If you travel to Hanoi in Tet holiday, this is a chance to explore more thing than usual day. But if you don't want to encounter with Tet activities, to book your tour is a good choice.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:10 PM

Hello, you can go ahead with your plan.

Some shop & restau will close only for the morning of 8 Fefirst day of year - lunar calendar), but you will have a chance to join with local activity.

Have a nice trip!
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We are going to go and experience it. Does anyone know any websites that might have information on the local Tet activities?
Thanks!