Vietnam itinerary planning - help!

Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam itinerary planning - help!

Putting together our trip to SE Asia later this year, and need some advice re: our plans to Vietnam. We have heard so many wonderful things of Vietnam, and are anxious to explore as much as we can! Here are our thoughts:

6 days in Hanoi, plus one day where we fly in (from Thailand)
2 days Hue
4 days Hoi An
3 days Na Prang
2-3 days in Saigon

Where are we not spending enough time/too much time? We'll be flying to and from most places with a domestic air pass, so that will relieve us of long road trips etc.

Also, is Na Prang worth it? We'll be going to beaches in Thailand, so is this a must-see?

Thanks!
Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM

Overall, this looks like a good itinerary. Depending on what you are interested in, you may want to omit Na Prang. It gets mixed reviews, but most people prefer the Thai beaches. I haven't been there, so I can't weigh in with my own experience on this one.

If you omit Na Prang, you could do an overnight trip to Halong Bay from Hanoi and/or a trip to Sapa.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Kathie thanks for your input! Im and on Na Prang --- we were thinking it would give us a good break to sit on a beach and relax during the Vietnam portion of our trip. I think Ill wait to see what works best with our flights etc, and then make the call.
I was also thinking of a trip to Sapa originally, but thought it may get too rushed. Is it worth the trek? And whats the overnight to Halong like? Most threads Ive read say the day trip is good enough. Is there any other city youd definitely add? What were your favorite places in Vietnam?
Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:29 PM

Compare Sapa and Ha long bay ( Vietnam) both of them is worth to Visit.If you have six day in Hanoi it is enough time to visit:
Day1: Arrival + Half day city tour
Day2: Hanoi city tour
Day 3: Hanoi -Halong ( overnight)
Day4: Halong-Hanoi-sapa
Day 5: Sapa
Day6: Sapa - Hanoi
Day 7: Hanoi- Hue
Day 8: Hue
Day 9: Hue -Hoi an
Day9-day12: Hoi an
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Is Nha Prang worth the visit? Or should we do Sapa instead?
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:43 AM

A lot of this depends on your preferences. Everyone I know thought the one day trip to Halong was too short - they spent their whole time in the car. If Halong appeals to you, I'd suggest you do teh overnight trip. If it doesn't sound that appealing, skip it.

Sapa seems to be one of those places that people either love or hate. It's in the mountains, you'll get different scenery and some contact with various hill tribes. It's also been so much visited, that there are exceptionally annoying sellers of various items. Several young women there are renowned for shouting obscenties at those who don't buy from her, even following them around to shout obscenties! I forward you, because for some people that really spoils their experience, others can ignore it.

I'd suggest you get a good guidebook to Vietnam and read about your options, which will give you a better sense of what to choose (I recommend Lonely Planet).

Hanoi itself is a fascinating city with lots to do and see and great food. I spent a week there, with only one day trip - to the Perfume Pagoda.
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:15 AM

I personally really enjoyed Sapa. We spent about 4 days up there. Did a day walk, took in some markets etc. Didn't have a problem with the local hill tribe sellers, in fact the opposite. I agree with the other comments on Halong Bay. I did 2 nights, 3 days and i thought that was enough time. Also I think you would need more time in Saigon, especially if you wish to do a day trip to the Mekong (recommended) and the Cu Chi tunnels. Saigon has some great resuraunts and shopping. Enjoy.
Russella
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

After thinking more about it, I think it'll be quite cold for Sapa in January, so we'll probably make it a game time decision. In general, I'm hoping for good weather, I know January can be cool up in Hanoi etc.

Also, will probably do a day trip to Dalat from Na Prang --- does anyone know how long this takes?

Re: Saigon, have read so many posts on how dirty and crowded it is, but have left it open to stay longer if we fall in love with it.

Any other must-sees??