Hanoi

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi

I was last there in 1992 and am thinking of going back next winter. Trying to figure out how much time to spend there. I've been to several of the museums but really want to just walk around a lot and take some day trips. Any suggestions? We don't want to do treking.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:16 PM

gloria--we were there maybe 3 years ago...we spent only 2 days and that was not enough and we did not do any museums....one full day was spent wandering just in the old town...we never did over by the opera house at all...i should think i would spend 4 days there if we went back....our driver took us to visit a painter on our way back from hyphong and that was very interesting and the "pottery village" is an absolute must...its not far from hanoi and you could spend a couple of hours there....interesting to watch the production as well...easily viewable...

there is the village where everyone has clothing made...don't remember the name...its undoubtably worth the time..

bob
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Water puppet theatre if you have not done that before.
Traditional music shows, (which I did not do in Hanoi). Some guide books list where they are located but I would check to make sure location where these music shows are still being shown.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
elr

hi,
was in Hanoi in November, and had about 2 days there, which wasn't nearly enough. It's a great city to hang out in, and wander. We had a day trip to the craft villages, and, frankly, we found that a wasted day, and wished we would have spent the day in Hanoi.

I guess the big day trip--or overnight trip--is Halong Bay. We also had a day trip to Ken Ga, this amazing village on the water, with karst landscape, friendly people, and very few tourist. From there, we went to a nat'l park to see the Endangered Primate Center. There's also the Three Caves Area (I can't think of the Vietnamese name, but it's in all the guidebooks). We were going to go on the day of Ken Ga and primate cntr, but ran out of daylight....

I hope you go. Hanoi is fantastic!

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM

One thing that's probably changed since 1992 is the number of persistent postcard (etc) sellers. We had lunch with a resident Australian who felt the situation had deteriorated in her few years in the capital to the point that despite her fluent Vietnamese (she's a diplomat) she was pestered as much as any tourist, and tended to avoid the central area around the lake.

But we hadn't seen Hanoi in its more relaxed days and thought this only a minor nuisance when compared to the city's overall charm. A couple of times we avoided the problem altogether by taking very early walks around the lake, which at that time attracted large numbers of tai chi practitioners, badminton players etc., then having a coffee before heading into the Ancient Quarter, just coming to life, and the food market. It's a great time to enjoy the city.

I second the Water Puppets recommendation. You could also organise a day trip to one of the closer "hill people" areas to the northwest (I think) of the city - I'm sure a travel agent could fix that. And of course there's Ha Long Bay, which is best done as an overnight stay.

If you didn't see the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum/museum complex last time, that's also worth a visit IMO. Be sure to wear respectful clothing, as at a temple, though.