Hanoi ....

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi ....

OK, I had to cut 1 day short in Hanoi to get the 190.00 airfare to Siem Reap. This leaves me with only 4 days to enjoy. Remember this is a 50th b'day trip to Angkor.(trip will continue) Love to see the country side for a day, where? Still waiting for the vietnam embassy to return our passport, two male passport same address, hmmmm
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:52 PM

While I didn't visit Vietnam was a "Western" tourist (I spent most of my 7 weeks with my family and extended family last summer), I have a few suggestions.

If you're interested in going to the countryside, my mother's hometown of Ha Dong west of Hanoi (a few miles out, I believe) is an interesting place. It's a silk village where we were able to see silk cocoons and factories where workers would turn it into beautiful fabric.

You can easily spend a few days in the Old Quarter of Hanoi- Temple of Literature, Vietnam's first university. I'm not sure if you have enough time to take a day trip to Ha Long Bay, but that's something to consider for a future trip. Are you traveling anywhere else in Vietnam?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:58 AM

With a mere four days in Hanoi, I don't think I'd take time for Halong Bay. You could take a day trip to the Perfume Pagoda. You'll need a car and driver for the trip. It is a way to see the countryside. There is more than enough to keep you busy in Hanoi for four days - or more!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM

I would listen to Kathie, Hi Kathie! My friends and I just got back from Bangkok, Hanoi, and Sigon. Wow what a great trip. One of the best parts was the old town streets in Hanoi. Have a coffee and watch the swarms of scooters zooming around! (Oh, watch your step when crossing the street. Just wait for an open spot, and walk purposfully and slowly to the other side!) The other part I liked alot was Kathies suggestion of Halong Bay. Worth the trip! We stayed overnight on a boat during the full moon. I felt like I was in a movie, or a national Geographic special on PBS. You must do this, you will love it.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:38 PM

You might also try Tom Cuc and Hoa Lu for a good day trip from Hanoi. Halong Bay needs more than just a day trip. 1 day in the Old Quarter dodging motorbikes and cyclo drivers and you'll be ready for a trip to the country. The traffic in the Old Quarter is brutal!