Great Restuarant in Hong Kong

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:16 AM
Jeff Davis

Great Restuarant in Hong Kong

I am planning to be in Hong Kong for several days in January and would like to find a great restuarant. Dim sum, traditional or whatever. I'll need to make a report to my foodie friends.
Thanks
Jeff

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 09:10 AM
deej

Jeff, the variety of food in Hong Kong is outstanding. Here are some of my favorites.

Yung Kee in Central is famous for its roast goose. For dim sum in relatively comfortable surroundings, the hotels are worth a try. I'd recommend One Harbour Road in the Grand Hyatt or Summer Palace in the Island Shangri-la Hotel. Peking Gardens is where I used to take clients who wanted Peking duck. There's a pretty good Shanghainese restaurant (the name escapes me right now) on the third floor of the World Trade Center building in Causeway Bay. For ambience, the Peak Lookout (where the old Peak Cafe used to be) is great for alfresco dining.

I can suggest some others, but it depends how adventurous do you want to be... Meantime, happy eating!

Happy eating.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 05:43 PM
Apiwat

Hi Jeff,

"Zen" in the basement of Pacific Place is very good for Dim Sum. "Forum" with it's master chef - Ah Yut, is the best for abalone(extremely expensive). For fushion food try "Vong" at the Mandarin Orientle.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:34 AM
HK Traveler

For dim sum and traditional cantonese, go to Victoria Seafood. Can't go wrong with their food and make sure you try the "crab powder siao lung bao"

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:42 AM
philip

For a stunning view and very modern setting, try Felix at the top of the Peninsula hotel in Kowloon.

It is pricey but worth it.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:26 PM
Gary

Also for incredible view and continental cuisine, Napa at the top of the Kowloon Shangri-La is great. Another excellent Italian restaurant on HK side is Va Bene. Pricey, though.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Thinker

Hong Kong is never a pleasant place for travel unless you're rich and famous. Being a Hong Kong resident myself, whenever I return back from oversea trips, I've to confront with the extremely rude manner of bus drivers. In the United States and Canada, most drivers are more friendly, courteous and helpful.
As matter of fact, the best cooks already immigrate to Vancouver, Toronto, and New York. You won't find finest gourments in Hong Kong anymore.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Joseph

Well I kind of disagree to Thinker's view. There are many great restaurants in Hong Kong, with a very great diversity, but some of them are really "local", located in the middle of residential places, which is somewhat hard to find/explore for travellers sometimes.

PS. I don't think the bus drivers are that bad in HK... at least not all bus drivers are bad... You don't have to talk to a bus driver anyways right?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 07:44 PM
Deepa

I have been living in HK for many years and although I have never really encountered any problems with bus drivers, a large perentage of taxi drivers are very rude. Disagree with the other person on restaurants. HK has some excellent chinese restaurants. All of the above suggestions are good ones. I also like the Shezuan Garden, in the Landmark in Central.