GPS Phone

Oct 30th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

GPS Phone

I am going on business (13 days ) to the Guangzhou area via Hong Kong then to Shanghai from which I will return to US.
I feel I will need a gps phone since my family will not be with me plus business decisions.
What experiences should I anticipate and where would I rent since I will be leaving from Shanghai.

jim
Oct 31st, 2005, 03:47 PM

Do you mean GSM phone? What cellular carrier do you use in the US and what is the make/model of your current phone?
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:58 PM

I beleive GPS phone and the service is only available in the US and Japan.
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

I mean "satelite" phone. Global positioning satelite phone. Works off satelites. Used a friends GPS phone in Canada in the middle of 10,000 acres 55 miles from Ottawa. I needed to call home in Florida.
Hope someone out there has some experience with this in Asia.

jim
Oct 31st, 2005, 09:23 PM

Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Shanghai probably has better regular cellphone coverage than most N. American cities. No idea absolutely why one would want to use a satellite phone. Have you see how big one is?
Oct 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM

Are you planning to travel to extremely remote areas where you would need satellite service? If you're just going to be in Guangzhou/Hong Kong/Shanghai then regular cellular service will work just fine. I've found cellular coverage in China to be excellent, at least as far as GSM networks go. I haven't tried using a CDMA phone there and from what I understand, this latter technology (more recently introduced in China) still lags behind GSM, so I would just make sure you have a GSM 900/1800 phone.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how comprehensive the network coverage is in China, far superior to what we have in the US.
Nov 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I do realize how big the phones are. However, now I understand that I can use the local cell service ( with chip for English display )with a 800 number incoming from the U.S. for my family/business to call in if needed.
Thanks for your help.

Jim

Search this Thread