Good price for an airline ticket?

Jul 8th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Good price for an airline ticket?

Hello,
My husband and I have just decided to go to Thailand on our honeymoon (we've been married for a year and have saved up money), but we are unsure what a good airfare is from NYC to Bangkok in October. Right now the tickets are $1100--should we just buy them, or wait for a better fare? Thanks so much! I'm new to this board but so far have found it so helpful.
Jul 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Sorry--just reread my post and realized that I made an error. We're actually flying from Boston, so the NYC tickets are around $950-$1000 right now. And they are non-stop. Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Looks like UA and NW hasn't released their discount fares yet, as they should be lower than $1,100.

Thai's JFK-BKK is a fast way to get to Bangkok. But you should also inquire about their premium economy fares on this 340-500 flight. Wider seats, more legroom. I don't know how much they are, but may be worth the extra.
Jul 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Don't even consider Northwest or united. Even if they are cheaper. The Thai flight will be MUCH better; you get in at the best time to avoid jet lag and the flight is MUCH shorter. Also the service makes a huge difference. Finally their economy seat has much leg room . But I would check out Thai'premium economy. If you can afford it I've heard it's terrific. The price you're quoting sounds average. You might want to wait a few weeks and see if they have any fall promotions which they start advertising in August.
Jul 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM

those of you who travel quite a bit...do you think ORD-BKK fares will come down for September travel? Was wondering if it is worth waiting for the August fare sales gloria described
thanks
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM

also - westravel, if you have miles with American Express, for $299 +20,000 miles you can fly Cathay direct from JFK (though the seats fill up quickly) - less so from LA....
Jul 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I would find out whether or not they would refund the difference if the fare drops. If so, I'd (preferrably) book the travel at today's fares for departures Monday thru Thursday (since low fares are typically offered on those days).
Jul 8th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Cindy, can you use that AMEX Cathay deal for BKK? I thought it was only Hong Kong...if so, it is a great deal
Jul 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Is the Am Ex deal just for economy? Do they have one for business?
Jul 8th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Jim-- there's no guarantee fares will go down. It's just that often they do in the fall. However with fuel costs so high who know? If you're flying from Chicago (which I also do) more important than the money is finding the best airline with the best flight. First -- avoid US carriers and stick to the asian ones -- they are much better. I would suggest either looking at Japan Air from ORD or consider flying to either NY or LA (if after Nov. 7) and flying Thai Air nonstop to Bangkok.
Jul 8th, 2005, 07:00 PM

i fly to bkk from boston quite often...i have only used N/W and it is quite good all in all...the new thai flt is nice but you have to make changes in new york which is not always the best...

united is ok as other boston people use it...there are others like ana and japan which are good but not directly from boston...

you might check out northwest's world vacations...n/w quoted me $1445 for a regular ticket for may 05 and w/ nw world vacations it was $1212 with transfers and 4 nites hotel...quite a savings...be careful on hotel choices...royal river is not a good option....holiday inn is better---location is the issue...
Jul 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM

From Chicago, Thai's JFK service would be a problem as there is only ONE DAILY non-stop ORD-JFK, a DL flight.

NW also isn't good for two reasons. 1) They don't fly NRT-ORD. It requires one more stop at MSP. 2) It's BKK-NRT flights leaves at 6am - meaning basically no sleep the night before, and then a long trip home. At least UA leave at 7am.

I'd think UA or JL/ANA will be better.
Jul 9th, 2005, 04:00 AM

I'm flying from Chicago to NY 2 days before on United (my whole trip is FF miles). I always do that when I am connecting to a flight to asia -- just too many potential problems with weather in Chicago to risk missing my flight. I lived in NY for 30 years so it gives me a chance to visit with friends. Comming back I'm connecting to a United flight out of Laguardia. it takes less than an hour to get from one airport to the other and since there are hourly flights out of laguardia it's no problem. I arrive in NY at 6:30 AM and will be at ORD at 10:30. Plus the Thai return flight doesn't leave until around midnight so I get a whole full day in Thailand without having to pay for a hotel room -- the Oriental lets me keep my room until 9PM for no charge.
Jul 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM

How do you get from one airport to the other in NY? Taxi? I realize there is a train or a bus. What would be the usual taxi fee versus bus or train?
Would really like to try the Thai direct flight rather than the Northwest which I have always done.
I would land in LaGuardia(Spirit which I have flown into NY) from Myrtle Beach so it would be necessary for me to change airports.
Jul 9th, 2005, 05:48 AM

You can take either a taxi or bus between airports. There is no train connecting the two. For bus and other info, look at this site:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgaconnframe1.htm
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM

There is a bus that goes every 15 or 20 minutes between JFK and Laguardia or you can tape a taxi. The bus ride is supposed to take about 45 minutes so the cab would probably be around 30 minutes since it won't make stops. Probably cost about $35.I think the bus is $10 but not sure. If you're two people I'd take the cab. Either way it's relatively easy and seems to be well worth the pleasure of a non-stop flight. I was told I needed about 2 1/2 hours to safely go through customs, change airports and check in at laguardia. To play it safe I made it 3 1/2 hours but I'm neurotic. It also got me into ORD after rush hour so I figured it probably saved me and hour on the other end.
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Actually, the bus goes every half hour ($11) and takes about 45 mins. It leaves on the hour and half hour. A taxi is about $20 between the two and takes about a half hour, but if there is bad traffic, which can and does happen often, it can take longer and cost more.
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Then a cab definitely seems worth the extra money.-- especially if you're more than one person. The traffic will be at its worse during evening rush hour, on any Friday afternoon and afternoons in the summer.
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:27 AM

cheick too see if thai offers a connecting flight using thier partner UNITED from logy.

-another decent option is taking the ACELA (SP) high speed train, LOL from BOS to NYC. Grand central and from there you may have many options.

actually the train option is not bad .. the less times you have too deal with airpott security and the whole mess the better
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I have a connecting flight on United.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO