Search

Golden triangle itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golden triangle itinerary

Hello,
My family of 4 (2 adults with 2 older teen boys) is planning to visit in December. I would appreciate your opinions on the following plan; alternate suggestions are welcome:

Day 1 Fly into Delhi from Kolkata and sightsee for the rest of the day
Day 2 Full day sightseeing tour of Delhi (Old and New) [or should we skip this and go to Agra in the afternoon?]
Day 3 Early Morning train ( 0615/0810) Delhi to Agra- afternoon Agra City and Taj Mahal [or is it better to do an early morning visit--which we can do if we arrive the previous day?]
Day 4 Drive Agra to Bharatpur Rail station visit Fatehpur Sikri + train; Bharatpur to Ranthambore National Park; overnight in Ranthambore
Day 5 In Ranthambore- morning and afternoon safaris into the park
Day 6 Drive to Jaipur – afternoon in city
Day 7 Jaipur- morning Fort, afternoon bazaars
Day 8 Fly Jaipur/Bombay [or take sleeper train arriving next day?]

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this part of a longer trip, because if not I don't get the Kolkata and Mumbai end points.

You should try to see the Taj at sunset and sunrise. The marble changes color with the light.

If you're going to Bharatpur the Bird Park is worth seeing - I'm not a bird watcher and I enjoyed it anyway.

You do know your chances of seeing a tiger are poor?

Trips to Rajasthan usually include more than just Jaipur.

If you're coming from Kolkata you could take the train and stop off in Varanasi - much more worthwhile than Ranthambore, I would have thought.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is part of a much longer trip. I have family in multiple parts of India but believe it or not have never visited the Golden Triangle. I understand that this is not Africa and that the possibiity of seeing a tiger are unpredictable. Stopping off in Varanasi is an interesting idea, but we would really like to have the experience of being in the tiger park.
I understand that there are many more places to visit in Rajasthan, but that isn't the focus of this trip. What else would you recommend?
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Hi Indical,

Sounds like you have limited time in this larger trip, so here are just a few thoughts:

I would suggest arriving into Agra the night before for this reason: the crowds will be far less for an hour or so, if you can be one of the first to enter. YOu'll have a quieter visit, for about an hour, than you would if you arrive with the many others who will be gettig of tghat morning rain from New Delhi. As for the sunrise.. you may or may not see much of it, due to morning fog and/or dusty air . Also, the Agra Fort is well worth seeing...many (including me) recommend it over the Red Fort in Delhi--so you could skip the latter if you want.

Good to be aware you may not see a tiger...but stay optimistic!! We were thrilled and surprised to see one in a Park further south where we'd been told the same.

Finally, unfortunately, responses on FF to India questions are few and far between. For lots more information, check Indiamike, a forum specifically geared to India.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM

p.s. apologies. i meant see the Taj Mahal before others gettingoff the morning train (not rain).
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM

If you are arriving late in December than the early morning fog will mess up views of the Taj Mahal. Sometimes the fog lifts quite late by mid morning. So plan your visit accordingly.
Ranthambhore will be full of visitors from 20 December till the 10 of January. You will need to book way in advance to get the much sought-after properties.
Further, the Golden Temple Mail is a long distance train & fills up quickly, so book well in advance. None of the other trains are suitable.
Happy hunting!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:06 AM

Hi Indical,

I completely agree with CaliNurse to arrive Agra a night before. But instead of taking train from Bharatpur/Ranthambhore you can drive to Jaipur first from Agra and then drive to Ranthambhore. And since you travelling onwards to Mumbai, you can take a overnight train from Ranthambhore.
Most of the trains from Ranthambhore to Mumbai has First Class A/C sleeper.

Kolkata - Delhi - Agra - Jaipur via Fatehpur Sikri - Ranthambhore - Mumbai

Also at Ranthambhore try to block an exclusive 4x4 jeep for game drives, well in advance else you might have to do the game drives by open mini van (seats upto 20 persons)