Golden Sands Penang

Search

Golden Sands Penang

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golden Sands Penang

I'm considering the Shangri La Golden Sands in Penang for a few days in the sun in July, with my wife and 2 kids (12 & 9).

Does anyone have any comments on this hotel? It looks good in the brochure (don't they all) but I'm a little bit concerned that the Rasa Sayang next door is closed for refurbishment. Does that affect the amenities of the Golden Sands?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:53 AM

I believe one of the benefits of that arranegment was that guests could use facilities of both, both are fine places but the Rasa Sayang much more luxurious, the Golden sands is more a family hotel, nice pools, reasonable beach and eateries that were cheaper than the Rasa Sayang, you should be ok as I don't think there is much at the rasa Sayang that you can't find at the Golden Sands, though I wonder weather it is just simple refurbishment or actual 'building work' going on, you may want to check that out!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM

Golden Sands is part of the Shangri-La group so it cant be below a certain quality altho the bldg itself is quite old.Rasa Sayang is being renovated but is blocked by another bldg (the previous Palm Beach resort) so it wont affect Golden Sands. The beach is very nice and has horse rides in the evening.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks James and Wein.

One further question: I've read a few reports saying that you can't swim at the beach because of the jellyfish. Is that true? What water activities can you do on that strip of beaches?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:39 PM

I stayed at the golden sands about 6 years ago. The hotel was good, but be careful about which room you book. The sea view balcony rooms are gorgeous with a hefty surcharge, but a standard room has no balcony and faces the busy main road at the back. I felt these were a bit grim. There were many watersports along the beach, I don't recall jellyfish being a problem - perhaps just at certain times of the year?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM

Have stayed in both and agree with everything posted above.

Be careful which room you get in the Golden Sands.