Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Going to Phuket Dec 24th - JW Marriott - where to have Christmas Dinner with family?

Search

Going to Phuket Dec 24th - JW Marriott - where to have Christmas Dinner with family?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello-
Our family is flying from Bangkok to Phuket December 24th, and will arrive as guests of the JW Marriott Phuket hotel for the next week, thru New Years! Our 4 children, 16, 17, 19 and 21 years of age will be with us, so it will be a wonderful trip! (We're staying in Bangkok for 3 nights prior, arriving from the US).
My question is, since it's so difficult speaking to anyone at the Marriott in Phuket (language barrier)! can anyone recommend a very nice restaurant where our family could go to on Christmas Day for dinner? The hotel suggested their "christmas party" several times to us, but I explained we really want to have dinner as a family at a nice restaurant. They then said some other things, but I couldn't understand what they were saying, or if the places they were talking about were in the hotel or outside of the hotel (we're open to either, we just want a special place - a good one. This is our Christmas, so far away from home)! Does anyone know any places we might want to consider? (one of our children doesn't eat spicy food at all... I'm sure there's some way to ensure she's happy too..) Thanks so much.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Tell us what sort of place you are looking for.
Almost every hotel has their own Christmas Eve Dinner or on night of Christmas, down the coadst around Patong/Kata/Karon there are lots of restaurants that would also have special Christmas Dinner.
Are you looking for more traditional ? Places like the Green man Pub lay on a superb Christmas Day lunch but that is large Englush Country Pub style, whether that would be to your liking I cannot say, but there certainly is a wide choice depending on what sort of meal you want and whether evening or Christmas Day lunch sort of thing.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Mon Tri's Boathouse in kata Beach is really special. It's a hike from the Marriott, but well worth it. The food is exquisite.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I was thinking of a nice restaurant (not too too fancy, but one where we'd wear khaki pants to (the guys) and the girls could wear a dress) - maybe I'd have 1 small Christmas gift (or stockings) shipped to the hotel so that I could bring them to the restaurant to give to our children that night...
I was hoping for a special restaurant.. one that had great atmosphere and excellent service. A 'traditional thai' (since we're in Thailand, after all)! restaurant with good choices... and a nice wine list. It'd be great to have a unique atmosphere because it'd be more memorable to the children if there was some sort of interest visually. I hope this helps?
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Most if not all hotels will impose a compulsory Christmas gala dinner on that day. You'd better check with the hotel to see if you really have a choice to dine out.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM

I agree with Watakeet - almost all hotels have a compulsory dinner for both Christmas and New Year that you will have to pay for whether you use it or not.

Email the hotel and you might get a clearer anwser than you got on the phone.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:16 AM

I've stayed in Phuket at New Year's varous years (but not the Marriott) and have not been compelled to have the dinner, so I don't agree that you have to do so, this should have been in the reservation confirmation. Personally it may be something that you would enjoy as they would most likely have turkey, etc plus Asian dishes and a fun atmosphere geared towards families; plus you don't have to drive. You might want to make a booking at a restaurant but still keep your options open for dinner at the hotel. You also have Christmas Eve for a nice dinner if you arrive early enough, and Boxing Day is traditionally a holiday here as well. You also have New Year's Eve.

As you do have one child who does not eat spicy food, you may need to go to a hotel so that that they may be more able to accommodate his/her choice. The hotel kitchen should be able to make anything from any of their menus if the restaurant menu does not work. Two places to consider would be:

The Chedi, Phuket
Beach Restaurant
Pansea Bay 118 Moo 3
Choeng Talay Talang
Tel: (66 76) 324 017
Fax: (66 76) 324 252
phuket.com/chedi

They have a great seafood restaurant right on the beach.

Saffron or Watercourt Restaurant
Banyan Tree Hotel
33 Moo 4, Srisoonthorn Road
Cherngtalay, Amphur Talang
Tel: (66-76) 324374
Fax: (66-76) 324375

Saffron is excellent Thai food, the Water court is a lovely restaurant off the lobby and surrounded by water with a mix of Asian and Western dishes. The hotel has several other restaurants.

You might also try the Amanpuri, they may be having something at their pool (may be for guests only but worth a try). amanresorts.com

Otherwise, a very good restaurant on with excellent views and ambience is:

Baan Rim Pa
100/7 Kalim Beach Road, Patong,
Tel. : (+66 76)340789 Fax: (+66 76)342460
http://www.baanrimpa.com

A Phuket institution. A terrace table gives wonderful views over the sea, as the restaurant is high on a hill.

I don't know that the kitchen could offer anything that is not Thai.

The Marriott is a lovely hotel but it is far from any of the above (that is one of the reasons I like it).
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM

I have stayed for New Years at Mom Tri's Villa Royale, and yes, the gala dinner is in the price of the reservation! We went, and we did enjoy it. We did the gala dinners at the Boathouse Grill Room. There was also a special gala dinner at the Villas at Mom Tri's Kitchen. If I recall correctly, the dinner at the Kitchen had more fish on the menu. DH doesn't eat fish so we opted for the Boathouse instead.

Boathouse and Mom Tri's Kitchen would be excellent choices for your Christmas dinner, IF you could get a table. Service is excellent, and the wine list is extensive. But it is quite a distance from the Marriott. Kata Beach is on the southwestern tip of Phuket, probably a good 45 minutes to one hour from your hotel, depending on traffic. (but worth it!!!)

Carol
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Yes, do keep in mind that the Marriott, although lovely, is quite far from everything else. I'm sure the hotel will have something very special and lovely and it will also be very expensive. I feel the atmosphere can be a bit contrived. However, that being said, you have children and they may quite like celebrating at the Marriott. The dinner will probably include some kind of entertainment. try to contact the concierge again. They should definitely be able to speak English. I know when I was there last year, the manager was American. They will help you make reservations, but will also push their own dinner and companys they are affiliated with, which are sometimes more expensive. For example, when I wanted to go to Phi Phi island, they reccomended a very expensive company. I went into town and booked with a local agency for much less. Good luck.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:44 AM
Nui

Check the Green Man's Christmas Website by searching for Green Man Phuket
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone!

I got sidetracked by the Thanksgiving Holiday and still haven't made the Christmas Day dinner reservations! We don't want to have to drive 1 hour to any of those nice-sounding places, so it looks almost like we're going to have to dine at the Marriott, so now I am looking into their choices. It's good to know they try to push you to do things "their" way.. so I'll perservere. (I am also planning to check out some of the listings you all kindly mentioned to see how long a drive it'd be for us from the JW Marriott Phuket just incase it isn't that long...) Thanks again.