Goa- Leela vs. Taj Exotica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any recent reviews or comparisons of these two-- has anyone stayed at either recently? We are deciding between these two hotels for March, looking for some time on the beach (we'll be doing most of our sightseeing in Rajastan). If you have stayed at either, is it possible to hire a driver for the day to see sites (Old Goa, etc.) We can't tell how far apart things are.
Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Yes, it is possible to hire a driver for a day. Leela and Taj Exotica are in south Goa and within 15-20 minutes of one another by car. Both have very extensive campuses - the Leela is more grand.

Old Goa from both these resorts is at least 75 minutes away by car. The capital city Panjim is about an hours away.

A thumb rule for driving distances in Goa: 20-25 minutes for driving for every 10 kilometres.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Yes, it is possible to hire a driver for a day. Leela and Taj Exotica are in south Goa and within 15-20 minutes of one another by car. Both have very extensive campuses - the Leela is more grand.

Old Goa from both these resorts is at least 75 minutes away by car. The capital city Panjim is about an hour away.

A thumb rule for driving distances in Goa: 20-25 minutes for driving for every 10 kilometres.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM

We stayed in South, North and Central Goa in November 2004 (this was our second trip to Goa). The Leela is very nice indeed with extensive grounds, antiques, pleasant seating areas. You are near to the coastal inlet for bird watching trips and dolphin spotting. By the sea there were some beach shack restaurants near to the hotel. Fairly near to the front entrance there was a restaurant ( Betty's ?) that also organised trips.

We went during the Diwali holiday and the Leela was fully booked but we had a light lunch there and it was lovely.They also have an interesting book shop.

Cavalossim is about a 20 minute walk along the beach, depending on how fast you walk. The taxis take just a few minutes. Restaurants are plentiful in this small town.

We are well travelled and are immune to most of the annoying little scams you encounter from time to time but South Goan taxi drivers are our least favourite in the world.

We had far more fun travelling by bus.The bus goes to Cavalossim and Margao.

We hired a driver for a day (always negotiate the price, it is compulsory). We went to Braganza House ( very interesting) and visited several temples ( very illuminating !!!)

We have published an account of our travels in Goa on

http://www.epinions.com/content_180175605380

-- if it is any help.

"Throwing down the Gauntlet in Cavalossim" is about South Goa.

"Close Encounters with Red Laterite" is about our travels in North Goa.

We also stayed for a few days at the Marriott in Panjim. It is on the river but very well placed for exploring central Goa / Old Goa/ and boat trips through the mangrove swamps.

From the Marriott ( central Goa) you can hire a taxi fairly reasonably.The taxis hired on the nearby road are a lot cheaper. In one direction, you can get to Dona Paula and Mirimar Beach easily. Panjim is a short taxi drive or an interesting stroll away. We hired a taxi for the day to take us up to the Northern beaches. You can also organise a boat trip to Anjuna ( Famous market on Wednesdays).

On our first trip to Goa we did all of the tourist day tours -waterfalls, Kingfisher beer factory, cashew feni making, cashew nut roasting, beach lunches, toddy tapping, pottery, rope making, spice gardens, river boat trips. The list is endless.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Gill.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Gill,

I'm headed to the Goa Marriott lobby (overlooking the river and the Arabian Sea) after I make this post.

It is a pity that beaches and Goa have become synonymous. The beaches on the central coast have now been completely ruined by tourism. There is much more to Goa that the beaches. The things to see and so inland are far more interesting.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:48 AM

Agtoau,

Re:I'm headed to the Goa Marriott lobby (overlooking the river and the Arabian Sea) after I make this post.

Lucky, lucky you. It is freezing here in England. Picturesque, but absolutely freezing ! We thought that we'd lost our cat last night and there I was in my dressing gown in the frost and the cold, minus 5 degrees, at one o'clock this morning looking for her.

I had just given up. I envisaged that she had been kidnapped/eaten by badgers or foxes/ or locked in a farmer's barn somewhere - when she emerged from the cupboard under the stairs, snug & dry and warm as toast.

Grrrrr !

Gill (bleary eyed).