Business trip to Chennai

Search

Business trip to Chennai

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Business trip to Chennai

Hello! I may get to go to Chennai for a few weeks this summer on business. I've never been to India but I've traveled quite a bit to other places. I'm a female in my 40's, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to wander around on my own?
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM

Are you asking if it is safe to wander around? Yes. Chennai is a nice city, and India is not a country known for personal assaults on tourists. My daughter and I were there in June of 2009 when she presented a paper at the big technical institute.

You can visit the old temples at Mamallapurham as a day trip. it's about an hour and a half drive south, on a nice road. Pondicherry is a small city about 1.5 further on that same road, so you could visit on an overnight. A lot of people like Pondicherry, with it's old French quarter, but the in June's 118 degree humidity, we really enjoy it. Very few places had AC, including taxis. Even our lovely hotel only had AC in the bedroom, so even dining was not all that comfortable. We really had no escape until we booked a flight and left for Simla up north!
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding! Did you take taxis around town?
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Yes. The places we wanted to go were too far apart to walk in 118 degree heat.

Taxi tips: Ask you hotel desk how much a taxi should cost to your destination. Negotiate a price with the driver BEFORE you get into the cab. There will likely be a big gap between his price and the hotels. Be willing to say no thanks and look for a different cab. Have lots of small bills, so you don't have to play the "I don't have change" game at the end of the ride.
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

What were the highlights of your trip?
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Here's my report. As you'll read, it was a pretty low key trip.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...y-may-2009.cfm
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:25 PM

Chennai is very safe to travel in, on your own. It is a mix of ethnic and the colonial ambiance especially up north. The markets are colourful and do try the very authentic 'Masala Dosa' (South Indian dish) at Saravana Bhawan Restaurant in Egmore!
I am familiar with the Taj Connemara & the Club House, excellent places to stay, the Connemara being colonial with fine views from the rooms.
If it were not for the heat, I would recommend:
Mahabalipuram (40miles)for the shore temples. The Radisson Temple Bay is a fine property and you could go to the shore in the morning to watch the fishermen bring in the daily catch. Kanchipuram has some good temples but I am personally put-off by the grime.
Pondicerry is about 100miles south with an unmistakable whiff of french. Maison Perumal is a small atmospheric hotel and you would enjoy their set dinners. Another place, The Dune, some 10 miles short of Pondycherry looks very promising. Gingee Fort, the “Troy of the East”, lies close west.
You will love Chennai!!