Giving to beggars

Search

Giving to beggars

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giving to beggars

We're off to Vietnam shortly and expect to encounter street-kids and beggars. We'd like to give, but def not cash. I've heard about pens and pencils, which seems OK, but I'd like other ideas. What about sweets ? With beggars I figure donating food is better than cash.

Any ideas or feedback greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:49 AM

Though somewhat more difficult to carry biscuits are a good idea - not highly perishable and more nutritious than sweets.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:51 AM

If you really want to help these kids, donate some cash to a local Vietnam based charity. These provides help in the form of shelter, education etc. and their main objective is to help the kids to help themselves.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

Crellston-- Bravo! There are wonderful local NGOs in Vietnam working with poor children. Find out who they are and give the money to them. If you give anything to the street-kids it should be something they need -- like nutritious food. If you go to a village you can give aspirin or other medications they need but you give it to an adult who knows how to use them.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:19 AM

I agree, give to a charity and then you have done your share. I would not give candy sweets.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:57 PM

give cash to the kids and it goes directly to them and to their families or give to a reputible agency, knowing that a portion of your money does not go directly to those who need it..

candy/pens, etc is just a waste of time...buy their products if they offer them...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:49 AM

When I travelled to Siem Reap, my guide told me that many of the poor kids there suffer from dental problems before of the sweets they receive from travellers. And she has seen severe fighting among the kids when they fight for the offerings (no matter what they were). So I believe donating through proper channels will be most appropriate and beneficial.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I fully intend to make donations, probably to a school, and will be enquiring about sponsoring a child. I was really looking for suggestions on how to deal with street kids. I've read elsewhere that some kids don't go to school because they are made to work selling souvenirs. I will be buying some stuff from some of them, but you can't buy from them all.

So my plan is;
Donate to a local school/charity
Sponsor a child.
Buy from street kids.
Give out sugar free gum.
Take mini footballs to hand out.

Any more ideas ?
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:50 AM

the kids are not oppressive...there are just quite a few of them...they are all smiles and very excited...i did not find it to be a problem...i only ran into them at the main angkor wat temple, not elsewhere and only at the parking area...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:57 AM

Another idea for gifts to bring along, which I read on another thread, is cheap inflatable globes. Fun & educational!

I just read on the Africa board that people are discouraged from giving kids pens, as they often turn them into play weapons, which the parents do not find too amusing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Love the idea of the globes. Did a search for globes but can't find it. Do you know where I can buy them ?
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:16 AM

I don't give to beggars on the street for a more practical reason. In some places of the world, if you give to just one panhandlers (especially kids), you'll immediately find yourself surrounded by dozens of them who suddenly appear from nowhere.

I am not saying that's the case in Vietnam. Never been there. But that happens in many places in the world.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Hi Sid

I just did a quick search on ebay for inflatable globes.
A lot of 12 costs only $14.95.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...04174&rd=1

Looking forward to hearing about your trip to Vietnam.
Cruisinred
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Last night my kids went through their bedrooms and produced about 300 pens, pencils, felt tips, erasers, notepads, rulers etc. They also have a dozen empty pencil cases, so they've made up little stationary kits. We'll be trying to find a school or orphanage to donate them to. They've said they'll be talking to their friends at school to see if they can get more to give.

Sometimes they drive you to despair, but other times they show such generosity they bring a tear to the eye.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Just got back from Thailand and they had articles in the paper about how gangs are forcing young women to beg on the streets with babies. Sometimes the baby isn't even theirs or in some cases they force women to have babies. So giving something other then money is a good idea.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:25 AM

You can get the inflatable gloves for $11.95 a dozen from Oriental Trading Company, website is orienttrading.com. If you have a business you can buy them from funexpress.com for $10.95 a dozen. thanks for the idea, my son is going to china and I am trying to pick up some trinkets for him to give to fellow students or other people he meets.