Gift for Vietnamese Travel Agent

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working for the past couple months on an upcoming trip to Vietnam with a Hanoi-based travel agent. She has been very responsive, despite my myriad of questions and the constant changes I've made. I would like to bring her a gift, but didn't know whether it would be appropriate. I sort of know how much I need to tip our tour guides, but didn't know if I should give her a cash tip, or something else.

What is appropriate in a situation like this? If you recommend a gift, is there something that a Vietnamese lady would covet from the U.S.?
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM

I don't think a gift is necessary and you gave her your business and that should be enough. Tell her that you will recommend her company to your friends.

If you did give her a gift then she will probably feel obliged to give you one back. A cash tip to a TA? I would wait until the end of your trip before even thinking about doing anything like that!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We used Tonkin Travel and they were terrific. Nhung, our agent, gave us a gift. I agree with Hanuman.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your input. Yestravel, I am using Nhung too. I'm glad you thought they were terrific. I know I'm being a pain in the butt, so was looking for some way to help her out. Hanuman, I think a great recommendation will go a long way, and will do so once we finish our trip.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, Nhung is wonderful. We tipped individual guides and drivers and that appears to be controversial. U can do a search and find some of the threads about tipping. People are vehement that it should not be done.