Getting to Bangkok

Search

Getting to Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Bangkok

Hello, We are headed to Bangkok in November. We will make our own way to the west coast of the U.S from florida and then fly to Bangkok on November 16 from either LAX or SFO. We are not sure which airport or airline to choose. Out of LAX there is the choice of Air Southern, Air China, China airlines and United. Out of LAX there is the choice of Air China and Delta. All of the prices are in the $1000.00 pp range. Would someone please offer an opinion one way or the other.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 05:39 AM

I'm a United flyer. I fly out of OHare (Chicago) which is a major United hub.

A family member who normally flies United is right now on a Delta flight from LAX-BKK so I am anxious to get his opinion of one over the other.

We have never flown on any China airline.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM

There are plenty of other airlines to choose from as well. Thai, EVA, Asiana, Korean and many others. Where are you coming from? It may be cheaper as well as more convenient and even shorter to fly from your home city (or near it) than to make your own way to the west coast to fly.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 06:01 AM

I would opt for any airline but one of the china airlines even though they are usually the cheapest.

Korean is fabulous as are most of the other Asian carriers
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 06:08 AM

Many people find that the best service, regardless of class of service, is on Japanese and Korean airlines -- Japan Airlines, ANA, Korean, and Asiana would be the recommended carriers.

As Kathie says, if you're starting from the eastern U.S., it's usually a good idea to avoid transiting through California when heading to Asia. Even if the price is the same, it usually takes longer and often is less comfortable.

United is a good choice only if you have elite frequent flyer status with them and can take advantage of their Economy+ seating, which offers extra legroom. Without elite status, you can get E+ on United by paying extra, but if you're going to do that you might as well go for the premium economy service that other airlines provide for extra $$. Unlike United's E+, premium economy typically offers both extra legroom <i>and</i< extra width, as well as other lesser perks (better meals, e.g.)
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, We are flying from south florida (fll, mia,) If we fly from Florida the airlines want to send us in all different directions before putting us on the main flight. I thought we can book our own jetblue or virgin atlantic to Cali, avoid possible bad weather states and so many connecting flights.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM

i would fly out of lax than sfo. imo, sfo has more weather issues than lax.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM

From South Florida, your question will be whether to fly east or west. Both options work, but look at total travel times. For shorter flight times, you want to go through a northern gateway, NY, Chicago, Seattle rather than through LA. Booking your own domestic tickets means that if your domestic flight gets cancelled or delayed, you have no recourse if you miss your transpacific flight. If they are booked all on one airline or alliance, the airline will re-book you if you miss your transpacific flight. It is also very likely to be less expensive if booked all as one ticket.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Cathy Pacific connecting through Hong Kong. Would that be a better choice in airline?
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Cathay Pacific is a good airline. Where are your connections flying our of S. Florida?
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:08 AM

I would look at flts out of Miami or Atlanta... I think Korean has good flts from Atlanta and they are a fantastic airline
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM

both delta and Korean have flts with just one stop out of atlanta
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM

and delta and united have 1 stop flts out of Miami...

why waste time and money doing it otherwise

I prefer Korean by 200%
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM

The latest ratings I saw put the following airlines in the top ten. I would think you could take any one of them to BKK.
Thai
Asiana
Cathay Pacific
ANA
KAL

Singapore is ranked # 1 again BTW.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 11:01 AM

With three options of one-stop flights out of Atlanta or Miami, don't even think about flying to the west coast to catch a transpacific flight!
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Well, hopefully you are getting the message, but in case you aren't - do a search on kayak.com or one of the other sites. You can pretty much specify all of your conditions. Bottom line is that you can do this trip with 2 layovers but a stop on the west coast may not be your best option. I see no point in using a discount airline to get to the west coast and then trying to transfer to another flight, switching terminals, etc. Your trip will likely be less expensive heading west but check all of your options.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM

flying time from Atlanta may not be much more than from CA
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM

I'm from L.A. and fly Singapore Air to Bangkok. It's L.A.-Tokyo (non-stop), and then about an hour in the airport and on to Singapore. The flight arrives into Singapore around 2:30AM and then I walk to the transit hotel, 25 minutes from the time the plane lands as Singapore Air is on time. The transit hotel is located inside of the terminal and one doesn't clear customs. The rooms are sold in a 6-hour block.

I go to sleep, then get up rested and eat breakfast and walk around the airport. The airport is great. There's even a swimming pool and there used to be a free movie theater directly across from the transit hotel, but I don't know if it's still there. I then walk over to the gate for the Bangkok flight and fly on to Bangkok (2.5 hours).

I like arriving into Bangkok during the day time and feel less tired taking this route. Plus, although I've been flying with United for decades and have flown many times to S.E. Asia on United, I don't mind Singapore Air's flight route due to Singapore Air being my #1 airline choice. Plus, I like landing at Changi airport and also being able to have a stopover, in Singapore, on the way home. Although, I'm usually away 2-3 weeks, I've done this route more than a few times only having 6-7 nights in Bangkok and 1 day/1 night in Singapore on the way home. Sometimes that is the only time I have for a vacation, so I suck it up and happily take what I can get. Then, I'd be back to work the morning after arriving back into L.A.

I like flying out of L.A. as I don't have to deal with bad weather. I try to avoid flying into bad weather places. In Dec 2008, I was sitting in LAX for over 5 hours due to bad weather in N.Y. I was on my way to Buenos Aires, on that trip, and had to go through N.Y. as I bought the ticket about a week or two before I had to leave. In N.Y., the plane sat on the runway for over an hour before even getting to the gate and then the flight was delayed to Buenos Aires. I could have been in Bangkok quicker as then I had originally had a ticket on Thai Air's, no-longer, 18-hour, non-stop flight to Bangkok out of L.A., but canceled at the last minute, due to the some political unrest.

When I'm on vacation for 2-3 weeks in Bangkok, then it's always December/January. I have also been there once in November (2009) and that was a week trip and when I'm there in August, it's always for a week.

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 08:41 PM

"kuranosuke on Sep 5, 13 at 10:33am
i would fly out of lax than sfo. imo, sfo has more weather issues than lax"

I agree, Ken. I was just up in S.F. last weekend and while at Burbank Airport waiting for my flight, I overheard one of the agents say that the fog had finally lifted up there, so the flight before mine could take off. I booked the 10:50AM flight for a reason as I figured the fog would be lifted by then. My flight wasn't delayed. But, back one Spring, I was scheduled for an early morning flight from LAX to S.F. and then on to Paris as that was United's route then. 3 friends and I didn't get out of LAX until around 5PM, due to weather situations in S.F. and then ended up with United putting us up in a motel and hoping we could get out the next day. Our 6-night vacation in Paris ended up 5 nights and then back to L.A. by way of S.F. and hoping for no more delays. I've been delayed there more times than I can remember.

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Hi Guen, good to see you here!

Of course you fly out of LA, as you live in the area. I dare say if you lived in South Florida, you'd take the one-stop from Atlanta or Miami rather than flying to LA to take a transpacific flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -