Georgia on my mind

Old Jun 26th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Georgia on my mind

(The Country, not the State!)

In July, 2019 (1BC – a year Before Covid) we started a wonderful, eventful long journey that began in Georgia and ended in Mexico. Fifteen countries in eighteen months!

The first country we came to (not counting a layover in Qatar) was Georgia. For a long time I wanted to visit this far-flung nation. I knew enough Russian for short spurts of conversation. I had read about the imaginative culinary twists they put on bread and other dishes. And I knew that this was the country with beautiful forested-carpeted mountains, cathedrals, ancient castles, and intriguing centuries-old stone skyscrapers.

Tbilisi, a City Easy to Like, Hard to Spell

Crossing the Mtkvari River over into Old Tbilisi, the historic Metekhi neighborhood.

After our bleary thirty-six hour trip from Greenville, South Carolina, with layovers in Chicago and Qatar, Tbilisi seemed like a world apart. Much of it reminded me of how the Soviet Union must have looked. After a few days, however, we noticed that the city has a lot of variety, ranging from medieval to modern. Here are some photos of the city. I hope to have a more in-depth article later on this city, as well as on some of the other places in this first article on Georgia.

Kartlis Deda Monument, erected to commemorate the 1500th year of the city, has a sword in one hand, cup of wine in the other. Which hand is for you depends whether you are friend or foe.

Parliament on hill and the Rike Concert Hall, one of several whimsical buildings and structures in this city.

View looking west from Holy Trinity, part of the financial district across the river.

Holy Trinity Church

The city is full of interesting buildings, especially in some of the older neighborhoods.

Sunny Sunday afternoon in Dedaena Park. Next to this (and visible here) is a market where you can buy everything from rugs to Soviet-era miscellany.

After Spending several days in Tbilisi we also explored other parts of the country, coming back to this city after having visited Armenia.

I hope to be able to convert more of my WordPress travel reports to this site but it is a slow process.

Feel free to visit my other site:

From NOwhere 2 nowHERE
https://fromnowhere2nowhere.wordpress.com/

Last edited by asterisktom; Jun 26th, 2022 at 09:49 AM.