future trip to China/suggestions???

Jun 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

future trip to China/suggestions???

Just starting to look into a 2006 trip to China. Found one tour I really like with a company called Aisa Voyages out of Berkley, CA. Anyone know of this company? Itinerary:
16 days..starts in Beijing for 3 days, Xian for 2, Guilin for 2, Hong Kong for 2, Bangkok for 3, and ending in Tokyo for 2. How does this sound?? Land price is about $3300. The two places I would like to visit are not included..Lhasa and Chengdu where the Panda reserve is. Has anyone been to the Panda reserve? Any info would be a great help.
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:44 PM

Nothing special about that itinerary, except it's very expensive. And they put you up at New World Renaissance in Hong Kong (which can be get for <$100 on Priceline)? Or a "free day" in Bangkok, which you can do it, uh, for free on your own?

Bangkok is pretty far from China/Hong Kong. You waste so much time flying between cities that you actually don't see much in 16-days. I counted only about 9 to 9.5 days of sightseeing.
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Hi,
We have been looking at a tour company called China focus Travel.They are out of San Francisco. We have never been to China or used this company, actually I am going right now to see if anyone else answered my post on this company as of right now 2 people said on this board that they used them about 3 or 4 years ago and they were great. Check out what they said by looking for the post "China Focus Travel".
Also look up their web sight chinafocustravel.com and compare the prices and see what you think.
We still do not know what we are doing, I need to check into this some more.
If you can let me know how they compared to the company you are looking at?
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at China Focus but I did not see a tour that included all the cities that I want to visit. Since I travel alone I have never booked a trip abroad by booking hotels,etc. on my own. I need to book with a tour company. While I am mostly interested in China, I feel that if I am going that distance I would like to include some other major cities such as Toyko, Bangkok, Lhasa and of course Hong Kong. I think it is difficult to find a company that includes all. The closest I have come is Asia Voyages. The tour covers all I want in China as well as Bangkok and Toyko. Only Lhasa in not included. Let me know if you come across a company that fits. Thanks.
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Have you checked the single-room supplement for that itinerary?

Add the airfare, you may be spending $5,000+ for not much sightseeing, and still have to pay for a lot of the meals.

The tours included for Bangkok and Hong Kong are basically worthless. Those places are best explored on your own.

I don't object people joining tours to China, especially for the first time. Do a China-only tour, and then fly to Hong Kong and/or Bangkok, Tokyo, etc on your own.
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

To rkkwan,
I could do as you suggest but I am scared to travel to those cities on my own. I would still have to spend on air fare from city to city and lodging and food. That and touring on my own..I just don't know.
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM

At <pacificdelighttours.com> I just noticed an 18-day tour covering Kyoto-Tokyo-Beijing-Xian-Guilin-HK with optional extension to Bangkok.
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM

You may want to check out OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel). They have a 22-day tour that includes Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Lhasa, and Hong Kong - and WITH air it's less than the one you're looking at. It doesn't include Guilin (which for me would be the major drawback).

http://www.oattravel.com/gcc/general...spx?oid=111922
Jun 27th, 2005, 11:17 AM

That price doesn't sound bad, but it all depends on what kind of hotels they put you in, and whether or not most or all of your meals are included. That's a big factor in the overall price.
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I am looking at the Pacific Delights tour referenced above by lxchiang (18-day tour covering Kyoto-Tokyo-Beijing-Xian-Guilin-HK). My problem is that "best weather for travel" seems very different between Japan and China itineraries.

Websites say best time for travel to Beijing is Fall (Sept/Oct) because weather is bad during Summer/Spring(dust storms)/Winter. But the Cherry Blossoms and other flowers in Japan are to be viewed in March/April.

Any advice would be APPRECIATED on when to go for best enjoyment of BOTH countries/areas on the itinerary (18-day tour covering Kyoto-Tokyo-Beijing-Xian-Guilin-HK). Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

I am looking @ this same tour. I almost always travel in October and I thinks this is the best time for this tour. This tour seems to cover all that I am looking for and I also like the 5 day extension to Bangkok. I may be missing it but does it mention the size of the tour group? What do you think of the extensions? How about the one to Angkor Wat? I usually feel that if I am traveling all that distance I want to see as much as I can in the region. Have you checked out ASIA VOYAGES? They have a really nice tour alittle shorter-16 days but it includes Beijing, Zian, Guilin, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Tokyo. What I like is the group size- up to only 12. Let me know what you think.
Jul 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Wow I can't believe what a whistle stop tour of Asia that is.

Anyhow, I've been to one of the panda reserves and it was interesting and the pandas are soooo cute - specially the mischievous toddlers. And you may get to see newborn pandas too.

You could even sit with the pandas for an extra fee.
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I am Billy from China. You had better change Guilin into Chengdu to visit the Panda reserve. Chengdu is famous for its wonderful food and teahouse. Don't forget to enjoy that if you come. Too many people go to Guilin now. What you see is visitors, visitors and visitors.
Jul 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM

But Guilin has the Li River and the caves.