From Int'l to domestic terminal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be arriving at 4pm on a Monday in Bangkok using China Air and have to catch a domestic flight to Chiang Mai at 7pm using Thai Air.
Do you think this is enough time to go through immigration? I've already booked the flights and the tickets were bought separately (I know I should have asked the question before the purchase...wasn't thinking).
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:59 PM

If there are no delay for your inbound flight then 3 hours is plenty of time. Domestic check-in require that you do it at least 45 minutes before departure so 2 plus hours to clear immigration and custom is plenty.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:13 AM

As Hanuman has said, only just to add it's worth a try at check in with China Airlines to see if they can tag your baggage to Chiang Mai ( CNX ), if they do then your baggage will go straight thru and when you arrive at BKK just follow signs for transfer counter, present your Thai tickets with your baggage tags and you can connect as 'international' to Chiang Mai and clear immigration and customs there.
Perhaps give Thai a call localy and ask them if China Airlines can either tag the bags thru or indeed check you all they way.
Worth the call.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM

There are four possible procedures.

The best option, if possible, is that when you book in for your China Airline flight they will also be able to give you a boarding pass for the Bangkok to Chiang Mai sector and check your luggage through.

If this happens then on arrival in Bangkok you will be directed to a gate in the International terminal and at the appropriate time you will be taken to your domestic flight by bus. You will clear Immigration and Customs in Chiang Mai.

The second possibility is that they will be able to check your luggage through, but not be able to issue a boarding pass. In that case you would go to transfer desk number one in the International terminal where Thai would book you in and send you to the gate as above. Again you will clear Immigration and Customs in Chiang Mai.

The third possibility is that, if they can check your luggage through, you could elect to clear Immigration in Bangkok and then make your way to the Domestic terminal and check in there. Then you would clear Customs in Chiang Mai. I really can’t see any advantage in this option.

The fourth is what you have outlined. That should only be necessary if they cannot check your baggage through, which they should be able to do if you can give them a flight number and show them a domestic ticket.

You have plenty of time for any of these possibilities.

I do this all the time; the first possibility is the most common if I arrive on a Star Alliance member. The second comes into play when I have an electronic ticket, which in some locations they cannot issue a boarding pass for.

I have never used the third possibility. The only time I have used the fourth option was when I did not have a confirmed flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Clearing Immigration and Customs in Chiang Mai is far quicker and much less painful than doing so in Bangkok. Duty Free goods on arrival are available at both airports.

How clever of you to come to Chiang Mai! Enjoy!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM

James,

Great minds think alike!

We were posting at the same time.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Sorry, no prize for 2nd place !

Have you seen the new Manathai in CM ?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:09 AM

i think you can do it fine if everything is on time
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

In December, we flew in on an International Flight from Siem Riep on Bamgkok Air, cleared immigration, collected our luggage, cleared customs, waited in line at Thai Air and were at the gate in 1 hour 15 minutes. 3 hours is plenty of time. However, you should try some of the expediting ploys recommended above.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM

James,

I haven't even heard of it! What is it?

I'm awarding myself one beer for second place -- but can't have it today!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

All,
Thank you for the options and possibilities. I'm confident that we can make it in 3 hrs. I'll try getting my luggage all the way to Chiang Mai and hope to clear customs there as well.
Again, thanks. I'm so looking forward to this trip!