four seasons maldives advice

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Kelly Anderson

four seasons maldives advice

We are honeymooning at the four seasons maldives next month and are booked in an over water bungalow. I would love to receive feedback from those who have stayed at the resort, especially which rooms (specifically) they recommend and if anyone tried the 3-4 night boat trips on their yacht. Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Lindsey

Kelly,
We stayed there in Nov and it was heaven. Be sure to book your spa appts on arrival or maybe even in advance. They have the most wonderful Ayurvedic treatments.
We toured the new yacht but did not sail on it. It's just like a Four Seasons hotel, but on the water...all the luxuries and amenities, even the famous Four Seasons beds in the cabins.
The diving equipment is the most high tech modern gear available. But if you are not into diving, you might not find the trip that interesting. It's totally geared for divers.
We tried all the restaurants at the resort and loved them all.
We stayed in a beach bungalow because we were with kids and wanted to be near the main facilities. But the water villas looked pretty dreamy.
Have a great time!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Ericka

Kelly and Lindsey,
Now you've done it...gotten me all worked up about the FS Maldives! The problem is, I already have another trip planned for this year! Don't feel too sorry for me, I'm going to Bali - FS Sayan and Amankila. Still, I now desperately want to go to the Maldives.

Your post piqued my interest and I've been doing a little research. I'm hoping to get there in 2004 and hope to combine a stay at the FS and the Banyan Tree. Do either of you know much about the Banyan Tree there?

P.S. I've been to Bora Bora and am imagining a similar experience, but perhaps even more remote. Would you agree?

P.P.S. What are the flight itineraries like to and from? What airlines will you take/have you taken?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Lindsey

Ericka,
We flew direct from Singapore on Singapore Airlines. They have one flight a day in each direction. It takes about 4.5 hours. The going over flight leaves about 8:30PM and because you are flying west and gain time, lands around 10:30-11:00. The FS boat picks you up right at the airport. It's a 25 min ride to the resort. Flying back is a bit tough....you leave at 11pm and get in at 6am. But to us it was worth it.

I had the chance to see the Banyan Tree while we were there and I was very unimpressed. The only good feature is that they do have excellent snorkeling right off the beach. At FS and many other resorts, they have average snorkeling off the beach, but you have to take a short boat trip to get to the good stuff.
Banyan Tree has no over the water villas. The beach bungalows are crammed into a very small space, so there is not much feeling of privacy. When you are walking to your villa, it feels like you are walking through the "back of the house" areas of the resort. The inside of the villas is quite nice, but I thought the oversized furniture made it feel a bit claustrophic.
If you want to try another resort besides the FS, I would recommend one of the Sonevas (Gili or Fushi) or the new Taj Exotica.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Ericka

Thanks Lindsey.
Sounds like good advice.