Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

For those who love Japanese woodblock prints...

Dec 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
emd
Original Poster

I would not normally plug on here but I know there are many here who love woodblock prints. I have bought several from Ronin Gallery in NYC. All they handle is authentic and reproduction Japanese woodblocks. They send me email specials periodically and they are having a Christmas sale now of about 150 prints, sale priced at $35 up to $200. Some are repros but some are authentic and very old and in good shape (they are honest about folds, any detractions, etc.), so these are good prices. And you get an authentication certificate w/appraisal from them. They have been good to me both in the gallery and w/online purchases. If you have questions, you can call them to ask about the colors on the print, etc. Their internet pics are good at showing quality. I just got myself a Christmas present, the Chikanobu 1896 print of three women "Dancing" for $150, a great buy. You might want to check it out.

http://www.japancollection.com/

and click on the top icon for the holiday internet specials. ALso, free shipping for purchases made before midnight Dec 15th.

Dec 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Thanks for that tip. I LOVE Japanese woodblock prints and bought a couple of Hiroshige's when I was in Japan (repos I'm sure but they weren't cheap and they are lovely).
Dec 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
emd
Original Poster

I have bought two Hiroshige's from them - one authentic and one reproduction. There are a few Hiroshige's in this group, not sure if all the authentic ones are gone yet.

Oh, and just for mrwunrfl: there is a modern woodblock print of Tachibana in this group:
http://www.japancollection.com/uview...43&pg=9&ppp=12

The one I got of the 3 dancing women is at:
http://www.japancollection.com/uview...56&pg=2&ppp=12

I love it. It is the only print in this group with a woman playing an instrument. They are all so beautiful, and the kimonos are too!

Dec 13th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I've bought from them as well and have been very happy with the price/quality ratio.
Dec 14th, 2005, 12:03 AM

emd-san, domo arrigato gozaimashita.
Chikanobu-no Dancing taihen kirei des.