For Dogster: the Portuguese restaurant in Panjim

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd tell you I'm here, all in one piece, love the Panjim Inn, have found the restaurant and made friends with Linda de Souza. Thanks for all the advice, it worked!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Ahhh, perfect! Then I can imagine you sitting outside the restaurant in the laneway, making friends with your accidental companions. Try out the more upmarket Portugese place for me. That's a block away on the main road, close to the little bridge. A walk into town is oddly pleasant, too. I did that a lot. There's a mystery A/C upstairs ice-cream place in town. You might be ready for a chocolate sundae about now.

I bet you've found your India legs. I'm so glad it paid off. thursday will be delighted too. Any de Souza is a good de Souza in Goa.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Gertie, hope you have a great trip. Thanks for waking dogster from his prolonged Melbourne slumber...
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Dog, is that restaurant you're referring to near the bridge the Horse Shoe? Owner chef is a former Portugese military guy who served in Angola, if I remember correctly. Anyway, excellent. I remember having prawns, surperb. And caldo verde.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gertie - great to hear from you! Dogster's right - I'm so pleased you're enjoying the Panjim Inn, one of my favorite places in India. Did you decide to go to the beach? And Old Goa? Are you going to try for the waterfall at Dudhsagar?

[Oh dear, I'm getting Asia-withdrawal - it's past time to go back!]
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM

It's exciting, isn't it, when someone calls in from the road? All your travel mentors are patting themselves on the back for having given good advice.

I'd been suggesting two restaurants to gertie in Panjim. One is just off the little street that runs beside the hotel, about a hundred yards along, down a lane. Ah ha! I've just found the name [I think]: 'Viva Panjim'

The other, more upmarket one was closed while I was there; 'death in the family' so I never got to try it. In a Portugese house, on a the main road that runs along the river - I think it WAS 'A Ferradura' but has had a name change to the 'Horseshoe.' But it's the only Portugese in town.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Sorry guys. I didn't look at this until today! So didn't find the upmarket restaurant Dogster. We are now in Udaipur, overdosed on Octopussy, gazing at the blue remembered hills, what a lovely setting, tourist central, gorging myself at the French bakery, I'm sure you can all picture it. The less said about Delhi the better. Have to go back there to fly out to Vietnam in a week.