Search

Flying from Bali to Central Java

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying from Bali to Central Java

Hello,
I have read in a few places that getting flights from bali to java is possible - (to Yogya) Does anyone have an idea of how much approximately these cost and how to book them from the US? We are on a tight budget but really interested in making the most of our trip.
Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:07 AM

You can fly from Denpasar to Yogyakarta on Garuda. You should be able to book the flights through a travel agent in the U.S. I don't know the fare, but it's in the area of US$200 round trip, maybe a little less.

If you are transiting through Singapore you can fly from Singapore to Solo (full name Surakarta) on Silk Air which is a subsidiary of SQ. Solo is about an hour from Yogya city and about 2 hours from Borobudur. That way you wouldn't have to back track.

To or from any other city you'd have to go through Jakarta. There are frequent flights between Jakarta and Yogya or Solo.

Within Indonesia I'd recommend sticking with Garuda.
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Marmot,
Is it feasible to take the train between yogyakarta and jakarta?
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM

For flights, the cost of booking domestic travel is much cheaper when done within Indonesia than from outside. If you have a lot of time in Bali before moving on, then you can book the flights when you get there.

There are trains between Jakarta and Yogya, but it's something like a 12 hour journey.
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

HI Michael - is it possible to connect with a travel agent then in Indonesia from the US?

We only have 5-7 days in bali before we go to Yogya - is it prudent to wait til then since we're talking about dec 29th time frame (worried that a) flights will be expensive b) sold out)

Thanks for the advice
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM

The one way economy fare from Yogya to Bali booked here in the US cost us about US$60 each on Garuda. Check their website for current fares.

If you decide to book before you leave you can do so through a US travel agent as we did or directly through Garuda sales offices in several US cities including NYC.

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Garuda has a few U.S. ticket offices. Here is the link from their website:

http://www.garuda-indonesia.com/inde...&pageid=43
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Unfortunately, I have a business associate who takes care of all my domestic travel in Indonesia, so I don't have an agent to recommend.

The Garuda fare quoted above sounds like the 'domestic' rate for bookings in Indoneisa. If you can get that through Garuda in the US, then take it.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:12 AM

I just purchased tickets on Garuda for the flight from Bali to Yogya next month through American Express. I think it was $145 RT. They are fedexing me a paper ticket within the next couple of days. I also considered purchasing them on zuji.com but my travelling companions wanted to use a travel agent. Price was the same.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM

I understand Garuda from Bali to Central Java is not very reliable.But, with some of the Indonesian airlines being disqualified to from fling into the US and even Hong Kong last year I get concerned, of course. I am not overly sensitive for any airline can have an accident but when a regional or major carrier like American is cited for questionable maintenance procedures on some of thir aircraft I worry.
So, what 2 airlines might you suggest I consider using to fly non-stop from Denpasar to Solo or other regional airport. I plan to stay at a place called Losori resort and take 3 full day 8-10 hr, trips with a guide/driver.
So, if the plane out of Bali out of Bali or back is unreliable my connections to Singapore and on to the US get messed up and it cost me chancellation fees. It would be great if Silk air flew in to the regionals near Solo but they do not based on my check.
Can anyone help??
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Silk Air does fly into Solo, but not every day of the week. So you could fly from Bali to Java, then use Silk Air from Solo to Singapore.

Garuda is likely to be the most reliable airline from Bali to Java. By the way, they have been re-certified to fly into European and No. American Airports.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I just re-checked. Silk AIr flies between Singapore and Solo (SOC) 5 times a week.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Denpasar to Yogyakarta on Garuda is your best bet. Garuda is generally reliable; however, when there are delays information difficult to come by. Silkair flies to Singapore from Solo (which is also called Surakarta) and from Semarang. Semarang is a little closer to the Losari.

I believe all of the Silkair flights in Indonesia are code shares with Garuda, so you may end up on a Garuda plane. Garuda is functional, but the housekeeping is sometimes sub-standard.

These are all three regional airports -- no fancy services. Most of the time all goes well, but delays are not uncommon. so give yourself a cushion in Singapore.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM

The Silk Air flights are code-shares with Garuda? I must have been lucky, as the times I've flown Silk between Singapore and Indonesia it was a Silk Air plane.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks, I am all set.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
KJF

More a question: we have been to siem Reap in Cambodia..is Borobudur worth
the trip
from bali for a day trip? concerned it will be similar..going this December 2009
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM

Borobudor is entirely different from Angkor.