Borneo/Bali/Singapore

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borneo/Bali/Singapore

Hi,

Going to be doing some travelling next year and it seems a bit hard to find good information about travelling in and around Indonesia so appreciate any help that anyone might be able to give.

We'll be arriving in Southern Thailand or Kuala Lumpa roughly early February 2011, and would like to visit Borneo and Bali, and need to return to Singapore for our follow on flight.

We have approx 3-4 weeks to spend in this area, but the most efficient way of travelling so far seems to be getting cheap internal flights in and out of KL and then making our own way to Singapore when we're done.

Can anyone advise? I had thought about Boats but I think these only run between Borneo and Java - which is an option but don't want to cram in too many destinations and miss out on some chilling time in this amazing country's.

Any advice or info gratefully received,
Fran.
Can't wait to get on that plane Jan 1st!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:02 AM

air asia has pretty good service around the area and their flights are very reasonable
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Malaysian Borneo (Sabah and Sarawak) is more accessible than Indonesian Borneo (Kalimantan). Transport in and out of Kalimantan is a bit complicated. Flights are not daily, and fly from only a few places in Indonesia. Travel in Kalimantan is slow and subject to delays. Flights are the most reliable way to travel. Avoid Indonesian ferries were are not safe.

Search here on the Fodors forum. Start by choosing Indonesia from the drop down menu. These has been a recent poster inquiring about Kalimantan, and I believe they have made their travel arrangements. Also, look at Malaysian Borneo. I have a trip report (click on my name and look under trip reports) and there are a number of Fodorites planning trips to Malaysian Borneo.

You'll need a minimum of a week in Kalimantan or Malaysian Borneo and a minimum of a week in Bali. You could easily take up your full three to four weeks just in this area of Indonesia (consider central Java for Borobudor and Prabanam for one of your stops). SO you are wise to be thinking about limiting the number of places you visit.

I think Singapore is worth a few days on your way out, KL might be worth a couple of days on your way in.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM

With a few exceptions (noted below) you should stay off ferries in Indonesia. They're slow and dangerous.

As Kathie says tourism is more developed in Malaysian Borneo, than in Indonesia (Kalimantan).

I like the idea of adding in Yogyakarta/Borobudur. You can fly to Yogya from most towns in Borneo.

If you like nature/adventure travel then I'd suggest you go from Yogya to East Java and see Mt. Bromo. You can fly from Yogya to Surabaya and get transfer to the Bromo area from there.

From Bromo you can go overland to the coast and take the ferry to North Bali, then work your way down to Ubud. You could either go to the beach in Bali or take a ferry to Lombok. From either Bali or Lombok you can fly back to Singapore.

Garuda is the main carrier in Indonesia. It has the most flights and is generally the most reliable. There are several budget carriers that fly to the less populated islands. Some are better than others. You'll be traveling during the rainy season in Java/Bali. I'm not sure about Borneo. This sometimes causes flight delays, so don't over schedule.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Continuing on if you do the trip to Bromo you can easily take a plane from Surabaya direct to Bali. Many good carriers, Lion and Mandala among them. (I usually fly Mandala if possible). If you book a month or so in advance the flights are inexpensive and will save you a day in laborious travel time as well. Then, from Bali there are many flights every day to Singapore.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone this is really great. Kathie I had a look at your pages and the review of the Rainforest Lodge was a fantastic read. I've done a bit more research into this and I'm not sure of the costs, what I've found so far seem quite pricey - or let me correct that, its only pricey because we're on a 4 month holiday so we're managing a budget. If it was a shorter trip then the cost would be fine. Going to do more research though as suggested for Malaysian Borneo and perhaps get some trips booked whilst we're there.

Marmot/Kuluk thanks for the notes on on the other areas to visit, looking at the map it looks like quite a logical route can be done rather than going in and out of KL which I had wanted to avoid.

Heading into the travel agents this weekend to get the main flights booked, its great to see this trip really taking shape

Thanks again.