Reload this Page >

Flooding the 3 gorges....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Sue

Can anyone tell me when they are planning on flooding this area? I'm hoping to go in the spring of 2003 and will change my plans if necessary. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any replies!! Sue

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Les

Sue, <BR>The info I've been able to find indicates that the flooding will begin in 2003 and continue until 2009. <BR>No specific months were mentioned. <BR>Spring 2003 may be a little late for your trip if you want to be sure.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Fred

I just returned from china and it is correct that they will raise the water level to 135 meters in 2003 and then it will eventually go up to 175 meters in 2009.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:32 PM
cash

Sue, <BR>Why would you change your plans? The flooding, especially in 2003, will NOT spoil your trip. The river, the gorges, etc will still be there in all their glory.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Fred

It WILL change how the gorges look as the water level will be much higher, and many towns will be flooded. I would personally not take that trip as too many people will have just recently been displaced. It will be an unsettling time.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Les

Fred, <BR>I don't think it would be particularly unsettling. For one thing, you'll probably never notice any difference while you're on the boat. The river banks won't be teeming with DP's wandering aimlessly. For another thing, when I took the cruise in 1997 (we were the last ship through the main channel before they closed it), you could see the new accommodations being built higher up the mountainside, and they were at least as liveable as what was going to be flooded. In fact, our guide in one of the cities along the way said that, in general, the young people were looking forward to the relocation - it would be the first time that they would have indoor plumbing, running water, and electricity. It's the old timers that don't want to give up their homes. <BR>The concern about waiting until 2003 to take the trip is that, according to a previous poster, the water level will rise significantly during that year. Yes, the trip will still be worth taking, and may still be beautiful, but if you want to see the gorges as they are now, then 2003 might be too late.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Sue

How long does it take to flood an area like that? Will the tours be stopped during this time or can they continue. Sorry... I don't understand this type of thing. <BR> <BR>Thanks to all that have responded so far!!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Fritz

If I recall the explanation that was given to us when we visited earlier this year, the river drops to too low a level to be navigable in the dry season. This starts around December. <BR> <BR>In December of 2002 they will build an earthen dam (called a cofferdam) just upstream from the dam, stopping the river. They will then complete the final section of the dam, finishing it before the water flows over the cofferdam. <BR> <BR>The spring rains and melt will then start to fill the area behind the dam. No ships will go past the dam until the water rises to the level of the locks. I am not sure how long that will take, but it will probably be all of 2003. Enough water will be allowed downstream to keep the river navigable below the dam. <BR> <BR>During that period there will be buses and trucks carrying goods and passengers between a port below the dam and a temporary port above the dam. It will be like two rivers with a hill in between them. Tours should continue, but you will have to change ships at the dam. <BR> <BR>Fritz <BR>(pictures at http://www.peacham.com/china/yangtze.htm )

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Les

Fritz, <BR>Your website is beautiful. <BR>Thanks for posting. <BR> Les

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Sue

Fritz, <BR> <BR>Thank you for a very clear explanation of the flooding. I appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me. Sue

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Sharon

Sue: If you can go before December 2002 as one of the people explained, they have markers of where the flooding will begin. I went in September and found it will make a great difference. One of the 500 year old temples I got to see and the quaint village will be gone, under the first marker. Nothing will be the same. Also, if you thing the awful concrete apartments the people will be moved to can compare with the beautiful stone homes they have lived in for generations with their beautiful gardens, you are sadly mistaken. I advise you to go as soon as you can. I am going to try to get there again before the flooding. Sharon