Flights to Bangkok from the US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Southeast Asia for January 2010 (note correct date)and intend to use frequent flier miles for business class. We use American Express to bank our miles and will work with their list. Do you have a recommendation of an airline/partner airlines to research for flying from the US(Pittsburgh, PA) to Bangkok. We are intending to fly home from Singapore
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM

While I would usually recommend either Thai or Singapore Air, I'm not sure you could get an open-jaw ticket on either. You'd probably have to choose one, then buy your own tickets for the connecting flight.

United does fly into Bangkok and out of Singapore. They are supposed to have their upgraded biz class complete by the end of the summer. While the Asian airlines are tops for service, we had excellent service on United Biz this year.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM

So, are you going to use the miles for the round trip or just upgrade for the outbound leg? Regardless, United is not a good choice because they will only give you 50% credit on Amex points while others will give you 100%. Please do some research as I suggested on the other thread - kayak.com will give you almost all of your options. You may well end up using several airlines as there is no direct way to Bangkok from the US (except from LA) and business class for 2 for the direct Singapore flight to Newark is very difficult to get.

BTW, It is best just to continue on your original post rather than to start a new one each time you get a new idea.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM

Oops! It's been too long since I was familiar with the AmEx point program. Listen to Craig on this one.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thanks for your advice. As we move along in planning this trip I will run my itinerary by all of you. Craig, I will stay on the same thread. Since I am a relative newcomer, I appreciate the advice.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM

I would see what you can do with Delta. They own Northwest, which flies to both Bangkok and Singapore, via Tokyo. Also, they partner with Singapore, so you could possibly redeem with them.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM

plan to order you FF tickets 330 days in advance of your return trip in order to assure that they are available and then they sometimes are not even available, especially in business....