Flights Singapore to Kota Kinabalu

Sep 6th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Flights Singapore to Kota Kinabalu

Hi! I am looking to book a round trip flight from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu in early April. Up until March 28, there is an 11:45 direct flight on AirAsia daily, but after that date it disappears and there is only a 5:35pm flight... given that we need to be in Borneo by 5pm that flight doesn't work for us and means we need to get to and leave Singapore a day earlier. Does anybody know if I should expect to see that earlier flight added back in if I wait until it gets a bit closer or do they stop providing twice daily nonstops that time of year? I know it is quite a ways out, but since it does affect where we sleep that night/what day we arrive in Borneo I'd like to start making plans. We'd really prefer to fly direct as we are coming from Washington state with a 6 year old and 36 hours of transit time is quite enough, and the only other direct option I see is Scoot air, which is also too late in the day. Thanks!
Sep 6th, 2019, 11:11 AM

Does this mean there will be no stops except to change planes from Seattle to KK? If that is indeed the current plan I think the overnight in Singapore is a good idea rather than an inconvenience, especially if the flight to KK is on a separate ticket. I think you'll be glad to stop & sleep, your flight in could be delayed with no recourse but to buy another ticket on AirAsia, if there's even space, etc. I've done these sorts of trips many times and any excuse for a rest is a good one though I realize KK isn't that much farther. But I suspect, as you do, that the earlier flight is seasonal & if you want to pin things down asap, just book a hotel. You don't say why you "need" to be in Borneo at 5:00 but if it's anything that requires being awake & thought processes you'll be in better shape having slept. When I had plans to fly to KK from Macau on AirAsia the route was cancelled very last minute so I had to scramble. At least you have time to think it through. If I was doing this I might stop overnight anyway, especially in Singapore (though it appears you'll be doing that later).
Sep 6th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

We actually want to spend the night in Singapore after coming from Seattle! If our only flight choice is 5:35pm though, we will have to take the flight the same day we land (around 12pm) in Singapore, where if we can get that 11:45am flight we can go the next morning after a night's sleep in a hotel and still get to Kota Kinabalu by early evening the next day. We have to be in Borneo at 5pm because our tour (Intrepid) starts then.
Sep 6th, 2019, 12:39 PM

I got it backwards then. I find with these sorts of distances it makes sense to build in extra days of wiggle room for just such occurrences. The worst (& best) that will happen is you'd have days to play with, either in Singapore or KK. But it sounds like you have your long-haul flights & tour already bought so maybe there isn't anything to be done. Maybe not optimum but it could be worse.
Sep 6th, 2019, 01:50 PM

I saw a Malaysian airline flight that leaves early, 0640 and arrives noonish. I plugged in departure April 2nd. They seem to have some other options too.
Sep 6th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
I saw a Malaysian airline flight that leaves early, 0640 and arrives noonish. I plugged in departure April 2nd. They seem to have some other options too.
Yes, Malaysia has flights but with a change in KL, I believe. The OP is looking for non-stop/"direct".
Sep 6th, 2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
Yes, Malaysia has flights but with a change in KL, I believe. The OP is looking for non-stop/"direct".
Well the only two NS's I saw were on Scoot and Air Asia neither of which she wants. If the goal is to get there on time to start the tour then get the next best option. Is there another NS you can find? if not then go to plan B.
Sep 6th, 2019, 02:41 PM

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view...=SINBKI-BKISIN

This is about the best you can do that I know of. Scoot has that one NS and the rest is mainly Malaysian airlines.

I plugged in a return of April 16th randomly.

Good luck!
Sep 6th, 2019, 02:54 PM

The OP seems to know what flights are available as I read the posts. The "next best option" from their perspective appears to be not stopping overnight in Singapore & just continuing on AirAsia on the late afternoon flight which will get them there the evening before the tour begins. I agree. I wouldn't bother with an overnight if it means getting up at 3am for an early flight that isn't what they want anyway.
Sep 6th, 2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
The OP seems to know what flights are available as I read the posts. The "next best option" from their perspective appears to be not stopping overnight in Singapore & just continuing on AirAsia on the late afternoon flight which will get them there the evening before the tour begins. I agree. I wouldn't bother with an overnight if it means getting up at 3am for an early flight that isn't what they want anyway.
She also said they want to get a nights sleep in Singapore too. If it was us flying from Seattle with a child a bed would be nice even if it meant getting up early but that’s up to them I think.
Regards, Larry.
BTW bjamie Changi is consistently ranked as one of the worlds best airports so I hope this helps your transit.
Larry
i

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 6th, 2019 at 03:16 PM.
Sep 6th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

We are glad that even if we end up spending 5 very tired hours at the airport then continuing on to Borneo later that day at least we have Changi to explore! I just know that our kiddo is going to be much better off with a bed that night and when I originally booked the trip was banking on that 11:45am direct flight. I am just wondering if anybody has experience with Air Asia and the likelihood of flights being added. It is April 5th by 5pm that we have to be in Borneo, btw. We land in Singapore around noon on the 4th.
Sep 6th, 2019, 06:50 PM

Despite that occasion when they cancelled my flight last minute, I like AirAsia & have found them responsive. I suggest you get on their website & find a customer service email address. Ask if, in fact, the flight you want is seasonal & unlikely to reappear on the schedule or if it might come back. They're the obvious best source.
Sep 6th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bjamie View Post
We are glad that even if we end up spending 5 very tired hours at the airport then continuing on to Borneo later that day at least we have Changi to explore! I just know that our kiddo is going to be much better off with a bed that night and when I originally booked the trip was banking on that 11:45am direct flight. I am just wondering if anybody has experience with Air Asia and the likelihood of flights being added. It is April 5th by 5pm that we have to be in Borneo, btw. We land in Singapore around noon on the 4th.
Best of luck. I hope your enjoy your adventure.
Sep 7th, 2019, 04:26 AM

Sep 7th, 2019, 05:25 AM

We have flown Air Asia probably in excess of 50 times throughout Asia and, I think it’s fair to say they are our favourite airline in the region. They do operate "seasonal" schedules to some destinations to fit with demand and i have sometimes found this before in places like Indonesia. it could be that this is the issue here. Although April sees the beginning of the dry/peak season such as it is so I am surprised to see them cutting rather than adding flights and would think it unlikely that flights would be added in. They do have a range of flexible ticketing options so buying a ticket that you could change to the new flight if it does reappear, rather than the non flexible cheapest ticket could be the best option

Delays can happen in this region for all sorts of reasons, in your position, with a tour departure looming, I would want to be there the day before.