Five month trip in Asia

Nov 21st, 1998, 04:21 AM
Daniel Richard

Five month trip in Asia

My wife and I, late 40's, are planning a 5 month trip in Asia, after spending a few weeks in Egypt. Would like to visit part of India, China, Bhoutan, Myanmar,and, maybe, Laos. Expect travelling "middle class" with backpack. Information and advice would be appreciated.
Merci
Daniel

Nov 24th, 1998, 06:12 PM
erwin

If you love beaches then visit Boracay, Cebu & El Nido in the Philippines, Phuket and Ko Samui in Thailand, Lombok and Bali in Indonesia.

Dec 26th, 1998, 02:45 PM
ilgihan

myanmar is beautifull country and cheap.don't hesitate for a dinner at 'Strand hotel' in Rangoon.And don't miss Bagan,specially Inle lake.You can also visit 'The golden rock' in kyatkyio where you can see peregrins.In Laos a must see is a Luang Prabang and Mekong river.It's a world heritage city.Dinner at 'Villa Santi'.Good trip..

Dec 27th, 1998, 07:32 PM
Kiko

Daniel, have you thought about Nepal? Its a great place to travel if you are interested in doing some trekking - it is also a cost-efficient alternative to Bhutan. You can do the most popular trekking routes by yourselves (Everest base camp or Annapurna,for example). You can also arrange it once you get to Kathmandu. I suggest buying the Lonely Planetīs guide to trekking in the Nepali Himalayas.
Have a great time.

Jan 5th, 1999, 08:52 PM
Ray/Anne Marie

Daniel

We're interested in doing a similar trip and would be interested to hear any good tips after your trip.

Feb 10th, 1999, 12:58 AM
Harriet

Vietnam is WONDERFUL! We too are in our forties, with the backpacker spirit but the need (and ability to pay) for a few more luxuries. Vietnam was perfect for us. (Beautiful accommodations in Saigon and Hanoi for $15. Easy, inexpensive travel. Incredible reception from the Vietnamese.)We've been twice in the past two years. If you're planning or thinking about planning a trip there, please feel free to email me for information.

Feb 26th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Jennie

If you're interested in Chiness history and culture, you should visit Beijing, Nanjing, Xi'an which have been the capital cities of the past Dynasties. If you're interested see natural beauty, then Guilin is a must. Since you like Egypt, then going to the Northwest part of China will be very interesting and different, like Dun-Huang, which is the silkroad. Be ready for the emotional impact you are going to experience there. Of course you have to do the Yan-tze(spelling?)river cruise. If you're going to Nanjing, see my posting of my parents' bed-breakfast in this forum, hope that help.
Bon Voyage!!

May 5th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Daniel Richard

Best time to visit S.E.Asia?
Thank you all for the advices given already. We are planning to make our trip from december to end of may. Is it true that the weather is very hot from march to may in S.E.A ? Is it a significant difference in air fares during december and january like on our continent ?

May 6th, 1999, 02:53 AM
toom

I think the best time to travel to SE asia should be from end October onwards. Because the monsoon season should end by that time, and it would be more comfortable for you in winter season (about 25C). It is true that from March til May is very hot, April is the hottest, it can reach above 40C, more than 100F, but this year monsoon comes earlier than normal, so it is not bad for this year. I also think so that the airfare should be rised from October or November.