First Visit to Singapore

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 08:02 PM
KK

First Visit to Singapore

Hi, Anybody,
I shy away from big hotels. I saw a reccom on F's for the Albert Court Hotel in Singapore.
Anyone been there?
Else, it is the Intercontinental downtown.
Goodbye 400 smackaroos.
Kris

Old Oct 30th, 1999, 07:04 PM
Kay

We stayed at the Albert Court Hotel
in Singapore just last week. It was very nice and good value for the money and close to Little India. The MRT was just a few blocks away. Singapore is a
fun place with so much to see and do.
The people are especially helpful and friendly.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 08:20 PM
erwin

Hi Kris,

I have lived in Singapore for the past two years and I want to recommend you Carlton Hotel and Hotel Phoenix. Carlton is located near the Raffles City shopping center and Suntec City compound. It is also near the MRT and a lot of churches.

Phoenix is located in the shopping district of Orchard where a lot of people hang out. Intercon is okay though but I don't like the surroundings.

It is up to you. Enjoy your stay.

Erwin

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 07:38 AM
Michael

I JUST returned from Hong Kong and Singapore, yesterday the 9th. I generally don't like big hotels either. But let me tell you about my stay in Singapore. I stayed at the MARINA MANDARIN on Raffles Blvd. It is a big hotel and its neighbor are big as well:
The Oriental and The Pan-Pacific. Across the street is the HUGE Suntec Plaza Mall. A block away down the street is the smaller MARINA SQUARE MALL. I called the hotel direct and booked with them. I paid 200 Singapore dollars a night including full buffet breakfast. This is about 120 US Dollars.
My room was huge, on the 18th floor of a twenty story atrium lobby building. The lobby was beautiful and the breakfast buffet was outstanding and it began at 630 AM. It was only a $10 (S) ride by taxi from the airport (plus $3 surcharge FROM airport- you do not pay this to go TO airport) and the hotel is about 15 minutes from the airport. Major shopping as described above is right there. Huge swimming pool on the 5th floor. Plus they have 4 tennis courts and a gym, and even squash courts. It is about a ten minute walk to the MRT (subway) but you do pass the famous Raffles Hotel. Taxis are very INEXPENSIVE is Singapore and tipping is not expected to the taxi driver. My recommendation is to NOT stay in a downtown hotel as it is mostly just business towers. Smaller hotels are charming or quaint, but this generally means older and smaller rooms. I bring this to your attention only because you do not need to spend 400 per night. Rack Rate for MARINA MANDARIN is Singapore 320-360 per night and when I called they quoted me a rate of just $200 Singapore. I think I got a terrific hotel room, an excellent breakfast buffet, and good value for my money.

Michael

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 09:37 AM
bill toliver

We will be in Singapore in february of 2001. I am considering the marina Mandarin because it is getting rave reviews in the travle books. Please send me more info about this hotel. Is this a slow time for Hotels in Singapore. What type of price do you think I can get. Is the best price obtained by calling the hotel direct or working through another channel such as travel agents???
Also would you recommend other hotels that would be a good value. We tend to like the big luxury hotels because they have all the amenbities my wife likes. Please respond by e-mail. Thanks!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 11:50 AM
Roz

Hi KK:

We stayed at the Albert Court in February, 2000. It is the first of the "boutique hotels". It is well located and within walking distance to Little India and Arab Street. It is good value for money.

There is lots to do in Singapore - enjoy yourself!

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 09:42 AM
judie

the commodore is very nice and well situated. be sure to go to the little india part of town and have fish curry at the appollo restaurant. another must-see is the night safari at the zoo. all of the animals are loose and the tourists are on vehicles riding around the area. it is amazing. the best thing to do we have found is just to get on a bus[the ones the natives of the country ride on] and ride. if you see something interesting, go see it. we have found some lovely festivals that no one ever thought an american tourist would care to see. the night hawker markets are great fun to eat at .not cheap, bur many many vendors all selling wonderful food and vying for your business.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Diane

The Duxton in Singapore is a lovely small hotel you might want to look at.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Yolande

I am a Singaporean and I suggest you compare rates from the internet with corporate rates of big organisations or travel agents. You tend to get better deals from corp rate.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 10:11 PM
Jamie

I can second the recommendation for the Duxton. It's in Chinatown, walking distance to the subway, and serves scrumptuous breakfasts! Friendly and helpful staff as well.