Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First trip to Thailand--need suggestions for weekend away from Bangkok

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Bangkok for a conference in September. I'm considering staying over for a long weekend (3-4 days) for a getaway from the city. I've spent very little time in Asia, so I'd like to see some of the better sites, but also have some time to relax (time at a luxury beach resort would be ideal).

Any ideas as to where to spend this time? Is September a good/bad time of year to visit or should I spend the weekend somewhere else (Hong Kong, etc.) on the way back to the States. Thanks!

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:08 AM

sorry to say but september is probably the worst month of the year for thailand....but that being said you could still see some things and relax..others will suggest a possible place to stay that might be of less poor weather...
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:45 AM

If you weant to get out of town for the weekend remember you will be joining 10's of thousands of others too, nearby beach areas get very full. Pattaya if you want a lively busy places, Jomtien beach is quieter, lots of good value 3 star hotels around the USD 25-40 range plus more expensive if you wish, about 1 hr 30 from the city.
Heading south Cha Am and Hua Hin are very popular for weekends, about 2 hrs 15 to Cha Am, 2 hrs 30 to Hua Hin. Hua hin lots of beach hotels and resorts, Hilton, Sofitel, Dusit, Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton(opens soon), Regent etc, plus boutique resorts etc, good for redstaurants, night markets, elephant rides, temples, lazing by the pool, and lots of golf!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:47 AM

If you want a luxury beach resort/spa in Hua Hin around U&SD 100-120 are Hyatt Regency, Anantara and most of those others, your bangkok hotel concierge will arrange a taxi/limo for you, about USD 50-75 each way, if you have time try the Elepahnt Village and the trips around the temples too.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:04 AM

I would to suggest to that you spend the weekend in Myanmar(Burma) which is border country of Thailand. You can see about Myanmar in this website.
www.myanmarroyal.com
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Will you have had time to see some of the sights in Bangkok and visit some of the wonderful restaurants? If not, I'd recommend that you stay in Bangkok, perhaps change hotels and stay along the river and indulge in some spa as well as shopping and sightseing. Another option would be to go north rather than south. A long weekend at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle would be great. It's a gorgeous spot and the spa is wonderful.

If you opt for a beach, I'd recommend the Hua Hin area.

Thetlinn, Fodors asks that people not advertise on this board.