First trip to Thailand

Nov 10th, 1999, 09:10 AM
mel

First trip to Thailand

HI, would appreciate all the info i can get on thailand. i will be visiting for two weeks in feb. traveling alone, going on thai airlines and airline recommened hotel. planning to stay in bangkok for two weeks and do day trips. any better ideas? thanks, mel

Nov 11th, 1999, 01:09 PM
lisa

Mel,
I'm leaving for Thailand at the end of the month for 2 weeks. I've done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people about it. I think it will be worth your while to only stay in BKK for a few days and for the rest of the time see the country. There are countless beautiful places in Thailand, you should see as much as you can. If you like I will email you or post when I get back to let you know what I ended up doing. I'll be back mid december.

Happy Travels
Lisa

Nov 11th, 1999, 02:33 PM
lynn

Mel -

We leave next week and will be back Dec. 1st.

Like you, we also plan on staying in Bangkok and taking a few day trips.

Lots of people seem to think Bangkok only needs a couple of days but not based on what I've been reading. I think it depends on what you want to do. Thailand has some of the most beautiful beaches but we aren't real beach goers. Also, I read Bangkok is very hectic and crowded and I think some people don't deal with that well.

My husband and I like the hustle and bustle of city life so I think we'll like it. Hey, the airport isn't far, we figure if we get there and hate it, we'll just hop the next plane to wherever!

We plan on seeing the tourist stuff like Grand Palace, Barge Museum, Wat Po, Wat Arun, etc. Also, all the markets, shopping areas, computer center, and lots of food. We plan on doing Kanchanaburi one day and perhaps one other day trip.

I'll be tired when we get back so if you don't see a post from me feel free to email me and ask about the trip.

Nov 12th, 1999, 03:02 AM
Grant

I used to live in Bangkok which is good for shopping, night life and business, seeing the Grand Palace, river trips but to relax on holiday head to Phuket and see our site www.PhuketXyber.com for tips on seeeing the beautiful sights

Nov 12th, 1999, 07:54 AM
vigdis

By all means, go to Bangkok, but I wouldn't go there for two weeks. We've been there several times, and one of the problems is that the traffic and the pollution gets to you after a few days there. But there are lots of things to see, just make sure that you have an idea before you go what you want to do and see. If you intend to go to a tailor , make sure you have time for that as well. There are lots of tours you can do from Bangkok, organised or by yourselves. Why no catch a plane to Chiang Mai and the Golden Triangle. Most people love it. Have a nice trip. We're going back in January, but then we start as far south as possible and go north afterwards.

Nov 12th, 1999, 11:28 AM
Mike

I agree with the idea of only a few days in Bangkok, and the rest out in the country. I spent two weeks in Thailand last summer (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Koh Samui) and thought two days in BKK seeing the wats, markets, and klongs, with perhaps two additional days for day trips, was enough for all but the hard core urban type. It is so easy to get around on Thai Air or Bangkok Air that trips to the north (Chiang Mai) and the beaches to the south are easy. We liked Chiang Mai, Doi Inthanon park and Ayutthaya. Koh Samui was OK but not great. When I go back, I am definitely doing a side trip to Angkor Wat, now accessible from Bangkok. Enjoy.