First trip to Thailand: 3 stops

May 31st, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

First trip to Thailand: 3 stops

For a family's first trip to Thailand (in July/August) meant to combine cultural activities with some sea-side relaxation, does the following make sense:

3 nights in Golden Triangle
5 or 6 nights Bangkok in riverside hotel
5 or 6 nights Koh Samui?

Does anything about the locations chosen, or the balance of time spent in each location, sound odd for a first trip? For a trip at that time of year?

Do most people use the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass for such a trip?

We neophytes are trying to rough this out entirely through on-line research and guidebook reading. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jun 1st, 2005, 03:12 AM

bkk air pass is fantastic and i highly suggest it....you have to do 3 legs however...the price for domestic flts is not all that much of a savings however...if you combine with international then you really save...lots of specials on thai air for instance....but they do not fly to samui..

i would cut a day from samui and add to bkk...but it depends on your focus and age of kids...i would do bkk at both beg and end of your trip...
Jun 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM

marriott resort and spa for kids, imo

try this site: www.huahin.20m.com
Jun 1st, 2005, 04:34 AM

I would cut off a day or two at the beach and add it to either northern Thailand so you can also spend some time in Chiang Mai.
Jun 1st, 2005, 07:00 AM

I will also chime in with cutting a day or two off Samui and either add it to BKK or go to Chiang Mai for a couple of days. It is easy to spend two full weeks in Bangkok. I just did that in February. Never left the city! Had hoped to go to Phuket, but there was just too much to do in BKK!

Enjoy your trip!! Thailand is such a wonderful destination.
Carol
Jun 1st, 2005, 07:10 AM

Dividing your Bangkok time into a few days at the beginning and a few days at the end works well for many people. The beaches in Thailand are lovely, but they aren't cultural venues, of course. That's why people on this board will generally recommend less time at the beach. I, too, would recommend cutting a day from the beach and adding it to the Golden Triangle. Are you planning on the Anantara at the Golden Triangle? If so, give yourselves time for a cooking class and perhaps time with the elephants as well as time to explore the area and to relax at the gorgeous resort.