First trip to India advice

Aug 12th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

First trip to India advice

My husband and I are active 62 yr. olds and have traveled extensively on our own planning ourselves. We are considering a trip to India this November and feel we should have a guide and driver. We have not done our homework this time due to unforeseen circumstances so are looking for any help out there.
We love adventure and off the beaten path experiences but also want to see the highlights. We are thinking about staying 3 weeks this trip.
Typically we donít love cities and prefer countryside. We love markets, meeting the local people and experiencing their culture. Touring some temples interests us but too many. We think this trip we should stay at more high end hotels to recover from the expected onslaught to our senses each day. Perhaps we are being overly cautious in doing this but we thought perhaps it is best for our first trip there.
We definitely want to visit Varanasi for a couple of days at least as we think it sounds really interesting.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Aug 12th, 2019, 03:03 PM

Find one of the (many) excellent Indian Travel agents and let them arrange a driver (and guide where you want one). Go to the top of this page and choose "view by country" and select India from the drop down menu. You will then see all recent threads about India. Some of the agencies that get recommended here are Legends and Palaces, Castle and Kings, Panorama. There are others as well. If you have never used an agency before, you will want o tell them exactly what you are interested in - what kinds of places and experiences - what kinds of hotels, etc. You can change any of the arrangements once you get their proposal, but it is good to start out by giving them as much info as your can about your wishes. Have a wonderful trip!
Aug 12th, 2019, 03:48 PM

Good advice from Kathie.
I have personally used Mr. VP Singh from Legends and Palaces and vouch for him without hesitation. We procured a car and driver from him during our last trip and will use him again for our upcoming trip though just for rides to and from the airport most likely.
I suggest being careful about sanitation there so see a travel clinic before you go for at the least getting appropriate meds for "Delhi belly" if you get it.
November is good though I would suggest later in the month as the weather there is cooling off.
Have fun!
Aug 12th, 2019, 06:51 PM

jacketwatch's post reminds me - do make sure you have all appropriate immunizations for your destinations in India. www.cdc.gov/travel