Reload this Page >

First-timer wonders about bringing Infant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Josh

I'm planning a 3-week trip business trip to Japan in August and have been given the option of bringing along my family, which includes a 9-month old. Are there any particular issues or problems I might run up against in day-to-day activities including sight-seeing, travel by train, etc.<BR><BR>Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Josh

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Florence

A good friend of mine went to Japan in July and August a few years ago with his two daughters aged 2 1/2 and 8 months. He went all around Japan, said he never encountered any particular problems and got help and compliments for bringing his children along from many people. Finding baby products was easy although slightly more expensive than here (Switzerland).<BR>The older daughter, now 8, is always asking him when he'll take her to Japan again.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:57 PM
lcuy

We took one daughter when she was 4 months old. no problems at all. the japanese love kids, their disp diapers are wonderful, food &amp; formula easy to find, and water is safe to drink everywhere. The only problem we had was at bath time...in the big baths it was hard for mom to bathe and watch baby at the same time (tile floors and deep tubs) Plan on washing baby first, give to other parent, then go back and wash self. Strollers are hard to manage in Japan. They have lots of cobblestones and steps everywhere, and not many elevators in subways, trains stations and temples. We prefered a backpack.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Dupie

Josh I have one question for you, why? Neither you or your infant would get nothing out of this experience except pure torture? I could understand if your child was older and could appreciate the travel. But why subject your child, yourself and other innocent travelers to this nightmare?

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Florence

Dupie,<BR><BR>Why would this necessarily be a torture, rather than a good occasion for a family to spend 3 weeks together rather than being separated ? Most children adapt very easily from an early age to travel, and I've met quite a number of tourists from all over the World with small children in Japan, they didn't look like they were suffering (quite the reverse). <BR><BR>With appropriate precautions (take or ask for a baby seat, nose and ear decongestants), the flight can be made perfectly acceptable to the child and other "innocent" travellers: Many Japanese families living abroad will go back home for the holidays (I've flown in planes packed with kids) and, as an "innocent traveller", I don't remember suffering torture either. Whenever a kid starts making noises, I just remember I was a kid once and I can't swear I've never been a nuisance to others (can you ? )<BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:37 PM
lcuy

You said it perfectly Florence. Why would a parent want to be separated from their child for 3 weeks if they didn't have to (and wasn't travelling for a break from the kids?) I have travelled a lot, and many of the best trips were ones with our 2 kids. They are now teens and have happy memories of all the trips...even the ones they only remember from the photos. In addition, History and social studies classes are of much more interest to them when I mention "you've been there". Only once in all our trips was one of them loud and troublesome. My year old was in the early stage of a bug and cried for about an hour on the plane. I felt horrible and walked her up and down the aisles and sat in the bathrooms at times. I got more sympathy because I was obviously trying to stop it.<BR>Other than that, even japanese innkeepers are always amazed at how quiet we are. (Bribes, threats, and good games and books eventually lead to good habits in public and hotels).