First time visit in Japan

Nov 15th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

First time visit in Japan

Hello!

My husband and I are visiting Japan next week i.e. 22nd Novemeber 2015. This will be our first time visiting Japan. We are traveling from India. Our trip got planned very last minute, hence, have not got enough time to research in depth.

Our rough itinerary is made and our hotel bookings have been done.

The following is our stay plan:

22nd we land on Tokyo Narita Airport.
22nd to 26th we are staying in Hilton in Shinjuku Tokyo.

26th to 28th we are booked at Kozantei Shibuya Fujikawaguchiko.

28th to 3rd we are booked at Grand Fine in Kyoto.
We would like to take a day trip to Hiroshima while in Kyoto.

3rd we go to Osaka for one night to catch our early morning flight back home. Stay at Swissotel Osaka.

My concern here is my commuting plan. I am very very confused as to how to make my transportation itinerary from Tokyo Narita to Osaka Airport. (would like to take the fastest route)
I dont understand which regional pass to take and how to go about it.

Also if you can help me out with where all i can visit in and around where we are staying.

We are 25 years old and traveling to Japan for our wedding anniversary. Really need help in exploring Japan and making it a memorable one. As we will be in the peak of Autumn, we would also like to visit beautiful spots if you can recommend.
Nov 16th, 2015, 06:14 AM

It probably is not worth it to buy a rail pass. Even if you go to Hiroshima, the best use of a 7-day pass would be Tokyo->Fujikawaguchiko->Kyoto->Hiroshima->Kyoto, and the cost of individual tickets is likely no more than the cost of a pass. Moreover, you have to obtain the pass before you leave India, and you might not have enough time for that.

As for transportation details, take the airport limo bus from Narita to the Hilton. Info/schedules are here: http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/ . For all train info, get schedule and fare info at http://www.hyperdia.com/ . Also, I believe that the name of the place you're staying in Fujikawaguchiko is Kozantei Ubuya.

Finally, Osaka has two airports, and the one that you're using is almost certainly Kansai International (KIX). Very easy to get there from the Swissotel -- the hotel sits on top of Namba train station, and there's a direct train from Namba to KIX.
Nov 16th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the details Don.
It's of great help.

Yes I'm sorry it's Kozantei Ubuya.

Besides I just found out Grand Fine in Kyoto is a love hotel. I have no clue how could I have made such a big mistake.
Surprisingly Kyoto has no hotels available on my dates and now I am badly stranded.
Nov 16th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Kyoto is full of hotels, and there are always cancellations. We stayed at the Westin Miyako Kyoto, and it was full of tour groups, which always hog space until the last minute. Can you call some hotels via skype and see what you can find?

Ordinarily, I would suggest emailing the manager, but Japanese hotels are really bad about responding, so a phone call is best. Call during the day in Japan when you are most likely to find an English speaker.
Nov 16th, 2015, 06:38 PM
kja

Have you consulted japan-guide.com? It is, perhaps, the single best source of information on traveling to Japan anywhere.

I'm not sure about your transportation question, as it doesn't seem like you are trying to go from Narita to an airport in Osaka. For any destination, you can look check the "getting there and around" tab on japan-guide. As examples,
How to get between Kyoto and Hiroshima:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3404.html
or from Kyoto to Kansai:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

My understanding is that staying at a love hotel in Japan isn't like staying at a "Knotty Pines Motel" (i.e., a disreputable establishment). Space is so limited and so expensive in much of Japan that young married couples often live with their parents for years. Love hotels offer an option for some private moments and they do so very discretely. I would guess that the worst that could happen would be that you end up with some good stories about the options that are available to you. ;-)

Enjoy!
Nov 17th, 2015, 10:23 PM

There are some lovely Ryokans in Kyoto you can consider staying for an authentic Japanese experience.

http://www.insidekyoto.com/2012/01/b...-in-kyoto.html

Google.You'll find many more.

Would recommend a soak at Funaoka Onsen after a long day in Kyoto.

http://funaokaonsen.info/en/
Nov 17th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Californialady, Kja and Inquest for the response.

It is really very helpful.
Nov 18th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Mansi

A good way to find availability is by using sites like booking.com, agoda.com and japanican.com all of which list a very large number of hotels in Kyoto and let you search by dates, only listing results which have rooms available on your dates.

You can then look at the locations, available room types and prices before deciding.

I am sure you will find something instead of your love hotel!

Good luck!
Nov 18th, 2015, 08:04 AM

Yup, just did a search on booking.com for your dates and there is availability in several hotels including some very well located ones that are reasonably priced too.

Search this Thread