Search

First time to Japan -

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Japan -

Hi, all!

At the end of August, first of September, I will be going to Japan for the first time! I'm very excited, obviously. My husband will be with me, but he will be occupied nearly 24/7 with work (I'm just a tag-a-long, really.) I'll be exploring on my own, based in Osaka. My tentative itinerary is as follows:

Wed- Arrive, evening
Thu-Osaka
Friday- Kyoto
Sat/Sun - Toyko (only overnight away from Osaka_
Mon - Kyoto
Tue- Nara
Wed - Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park (tentative)
Thursday - Kobe and/or Nagoya (tentative
Friday - Osaka, depart evening

I've found so much to do in Kyoto that I'm considering scheduling a 3rd day there. I have a rail pass (rather, an exchage order for a rail pass). I've got a long list of things to see.

What I'm curious about is - what is your don't-leave-home-without-it travel tip for a Japan newbie? Something you wouldn't leave without seeing? A tip about something that you found difficult/complicated? Basically, I'm looking for anything you wished you had known before you went for the first time.

Thank you so much!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM

I would spend MUCH more time in Kyoto.Skip Hakone. If it's clear you'll get a great view of Fuji from your train. I'd also skip Kobe and nagoya and use those days in Kyoto.

One don't miss is the Miho Museum designed by Pei. It's about an hour and a half from Kyoto and is the most spectacular place I have seen. Spiritual.

If you want another half day out of Kyoto you could go to Himeji castle but Kyoto itself has so many extraordinary places. Go to a variety of gardens, try to get to Ohara which is fabulous.

I spent two weeks in Kyoto and only began to scratch the surface. It's an incredible city.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:52 AM

I just returned with my family from Japan. My kids particpated in a karate tournament in Osaka, so we made time to visit Tokyo and Kyoto. Here are my thoughts on your questions:
"Don't leave home without it":
Using the net, I contacted the SGG Club for the areas I needed a guide. They offer tours in english staffed by volunteer guides. If you're a sushi lover, make sure you study that sushi table guide at your local sushi hangout. Learn how to order your favorite sushi in Japanese. Also note that your sushi will always be prepared with wasabi. Finally, buy your JR Rail Pass before you go. You save big bucks and you'll find out how easy it is to get your bags through the train turnstiles!
"...must see"
1. Himeji Castle
2. Kiyomizu-dera at 6 a.m. (no crownds)
3. shopping the back streets below Kiyomizu-dera
"...what's difficult?"
You can always get a cab or be pointed to your destination if you have your addresses writing in Japanese. Cab drivers usually can't read your english instuctions. I got my hotel concierge to write all my destinations in Japanese.
Above all, travel light and use a narrow rolling pack (e.g., Eagle Creek Switchpack). Your fellow train travelers (which are many) will thank you.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips -
I think I will definitely plan more time in Kyoto. I was already leaning that way and you gave me the right nudge.

I have already purchased a rail pass, which I plan to wring absolutely dry with use.

Thanks so much for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

-C
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:31 PM

Your day trip to FHI N.P. on the second Wednesday is not practical. You would want to visit there as part of your trip to Tokyo. For example, on Monday you could leave Tokyo in the morning, visit Hakone, and get to Kyoto or Osaka in mid-afternoon. Sure, skip Nagoya and Kobe in favor of Kyoto. Visiting Moto-Hakone to see Fuji-san across Lake Ashi will give you a much better view you can get from the shinkansen. If you decide to skip *both* Tokyo and Fuji then you won't need your 7-day JR Pass. You definitely don't need a 14-day pass.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Japan for the first time in May 2005. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway